wood carving

Hey all,

I was recently at a cottage and found myself whittling with a pocket knife that I had snagged at a flea market while there.

So I was thinking that I'd like to start woodcarving.

What I was wondering was where to start? What do I look for in a knife set. I know there are a few members on the board that do wood carving so I'd like their feedback and info to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Thanks for the vote of confidence Spiel.

I whittled for a while with a penknife, then found a local Carving Club{ there should be one in Kitchener ]

Found the Members only too willing too impart their knowledge and skills to a beginner. They will have carving books to borrow and carving plans.Basswood is the best wood to start with.Tight grain and easy to carve, but does'nt sand too well.

If you find a club, take a look at the knives they use. I recommend you dont buy a 'set' of knives as you prolly wont use some of them. Start with one or two straight blades, make sure you learn how to sharpen them, then build up a kit as you need them. I can go on forever, but a carving book from a club or Library will get you going.

Hope this helps, e-mail me by all means if you need any more help.

P.s. A club will have someone to cut out the blocks to a pattern for you. Try a small animal first, birds can be frustrating.

Edited by Nanook

Thanks for the vote of confidence Spiel.

My pleasure Jack. It's easy to see that your an accomplished carver when I see work such as this.

Humming_Bird_008.jpg

That's also some good advice for anyone looking to get started in carving.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

I don't carve myself but Dad has been a serious carver for about 30 years, slowing down now at 82. He has a very well equipped work area and has always showed off his latest new toy :whistling: and latest piece of work :clapping: His main interest is waterfowl and birds of prey and he is a long time member of Niagara Woodcarvers. Here is two links local to your area that would probably get you off on the right foot.

a local club

http://www.canadiannationals.net/gvwc.html#CLICK_ON_YOUR_CHOICE_OF_LINKS_BELOW_

and a business that appears to have most everything you would need to get started and even progress a long ways in the hobby

http://www.chippingaway.com/

I find that the price of Membership to the club with the link pretty exhorbitant for a beginner, there has to be a cheaper one in Kitchener.

The two stores Chippingaway and Nutmeg Carving Supplies have mail order facilities,but a hands on visit to either one would be better, you can talk to the people that use the tools.

As you can see, you have not picked a 'cheap' hobby. Look around for used tools,where people have passed on, or quit carving for whatever reason.

Your first decision will be" do I want to carve or whittle?"

:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Edited by Nanook

I think whittling leads into carving from what I have been reading into....I would love to be able to do fish and other wildlife and some of the folk charactitures that I've been seeing around...but I'll start out with small animals etc...and I'm planning a trip to chipping away tomorrow!

I have aways been fascinated by wood carving. I was in the art business for around 20 yrs and attended many art shows to sell my wares. The shows put on by local conservation groups brought out the wood carvers in droves. I would watch them for 3 days working on a piece from a block of wood and was blown away with the talent that these individuals have. My favorite was the waterfowl pieces. There are some carvers that make actual working decoys, they are getting rare as time goes on. Can't see myself using them for duck hunting though cause my buddy would end up shooting them full of bb's. I think they used the phrase "smoothies" if I'm not mistaken. They were more about shape than detail. Good luck with your new hobby.