Missed another nice one due to bad line

Black_Blade

Went out at end of Trout Lake for an hour or so last night after work. I had made a previous post complaining about the breaking of my line (10 pound Fireline Crystal), well instead of changing the line and move on...noooo, had to lose an incredible smallie that liked my offering of a Gulp crawler drop shot. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I got a spool of 12 pound floro that is going on before next outing! In all fairness to the FireLine tho, I think it has been on the reel for 3 seasons now, so is past due being changed...I'm just being cheap :blush:

fireline?

i had the same problem as well a couple of years ago huge grab my line and off it went. one two three click on the reel and then all hear is silence and a very light line :wallbash:

now i just use fluro and power pro(use this for shore fishing only or trolling)

I think it has been on the reel for 3 seasons now, ?

umm,,,, no offence , but THIS line has to go, especially if you are trolling, spinning, casting or doing anything other than jigging.....'cause its got nicks, its old, its gonna break..... and the only reason I exclued jigging is --- I don't do it enough to know....

now change the line and go get that lunkerthumbsup_anim.gif

Guest Johnny Bass

I used to change my line 3-4 times a season. But only had 2 rods and i would constantly be changing lures retying. Makes a huge difference. So does removing the drag off your reels when not in use. I have 8 rods now and some of the rods are also on 3 seasons without changing as it can get expensive. When you tie on your hooks, make sure the knots are strong.If they keep breaking? Dont be cheap.Get new line!

Small update...I pulled off the old Fireline and respooled with Berkley Vanish floro 12 pound test and I didn't mind this line. Twice during the day some coils popped off the spool and made a bit of a mess (good thing fish didn't bite at that moment), but other than that worked nice...pulled in two nice sized smallies but didn't find that hog from the other day for a rematch...:)

Guest Johnny Bass

Small update...I pulled off the old Fireline and respooled with Berkley Vanish floro 12 pound test and I didn't mind this line. Twice during the day some coils popped off the spool and made a bit of a mess (good thing fish didn't bite at that moment), but other than that worked nice...pulled in two nice sized smallies but didn't find that hog from the other day for a rematch...:)

That means the line has been sitting on the spool for awhile. I used to soak the line in cold water for at least an hour before putting it on the reel"(but that doesn't even work anymore).Someone told me to start using warm water instead. Give it a try!

all this talk about new line wants me to respool all my reels.

Although if someone can help me figure out how to stop my mono lines from exploding at the reel and those blasted line twist(seems like it happens after i land a fish) that would be great because i feel like switching back to braided :wallbash:

Edited by ReTodd