Smallmouth Buffalo

hawk-eye

Hey guys, Ive got a buddie from out west who wont leave me alone untill i find him some smallmouth buffalo. Do we even have these in southern Ontario? Damb thing looks so much like a carp I cant recall if ive hooked them and assumed it was a carp from the power plant. I just want to know if there are any here

Thanks.

My buddy caught a smallmouth buffalo a few weeks ago from the Niagara when we were carp fishing. It’s the first and only one I’ve ever seen in person over a lifetime of fishing. I’ve heard of a couple small ones caught in the Grand. I'm definitely interested in learning more about them myself.

DSC_3004a-1.jpg

Their eyes are so beady!

Nice Buffalo MJL. Id also like to see a few more of these guys arround.

I dont know how you can carp fish down in the pool. I had tryed a couple times while down there troutin in late Sept, but could never keep my lead outta the rocks. What kinda rig are you using for carpin down there, I was using a bolt/hair rig with about 2 oz of weight.

Nice Buffalo MJL. Id also like to see a few more of these guys arround.

I dont know how you can carp fish down in the pool. I had tryed a couple times while down there troutin in late Sept, but could never keep my lead outta the rocks. What kinda rig are you using for carpin down there, I was using a bolt/hair rig with about 2 oz of weight.

I use pretty much the same rig as you but I have a variety of heavier leads on hand to handle the gnarlier stuff if need be. Some areas are just snaggier than others no matter what you do.

Sweet! Nice catch for MJL's buddy.

But is it bigmouth or smallmouth? Are there two seperate species?

I've seen/ caught quillback on the lower grand but never a buffalo.

The one in the pic is a smallmouth buffalo. There are 2 species of buffalo I know of in Ontario (bigmouth and smallouth).

Here's a bigmouth buffalo that another member caught. You should be able to see the difference in their mouth.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19702&st=0&p=204463&hl=bigmouth&fromsearch=1entry204463

I know the BIGMOUTH Buffalo resides in the lower Grand. It's native but must be having a tough time thriving there now because The Grand River Conservation Authority has it listed as a 'species at risk.'

I have never seen either species of Buffalo, only from OFC member's posts. Goodluck in your quest!

well, the bigmouth buffalo has been listed as a species at risk for many many years. when i cought mine, i was informed it was only the 7th one reported in quite some time and the first reported since the 70's i believe.

the smallmouth buffalos... look identical to carp. weird.