Smallmouth on the fly again!

FlyGuy5

My friend Matt and I went out to serch for some river smallmouth on the Trent River last night. For the last little bit I've had great luck on my top water mouse pattren for smallies so I had it tied on with a 8 pound floro for a lead. I had just laid down a nice long cast I believe it was my second cast when bamm a huge smallie comes leaping out of the water and misses my fly both Matt and myself just look at each other and were stoked. I made only a few more casts when a smaller smallmouth came up and took my fly under up with the rod tip and fish on. He put up a good fight for his size we took a couple of pictures and away he went. Then it wasn't 3 minutes after that I made another long cast and stripped it in once and bamm I knew right away it was a good fish. Not having much line stripped in I was able to fight this fish with the rod and reel it was sweet. Again pictures were taken and it was let go. Matt as well got a couple of nice fish and all in all it was a great day on the water.

July 4th 2010 003.jpg

July 4th 2010 004.jpg

July 4th 2010 005.jpg

July 4th 2010 007.jpg

I'm still too new to fly-fishing to effectively nymph for smallmouth. I generally get them on buggers (I've caught 3 SMB on 2 SMB fly-fishing trips). When talking in my circles, however, I hear that big hexagenia nymphs are second to none, and idaho nymphs, as well as stonefly nymphs, can all get the job done.

Ryan

i find nymphing usually hits the smaller, juvenile fish but it does get you good numbers....crayfish, leeches, streamers and poppers are my bread n butter for big smallies.

for deep pools pickup a spare spool and either sink tip or full sink line and drag a crayfish pattern across bottom in the deepest part of the pool and along the edges and drop offs

one of my fav flies and not too well known is the gummy minnow...essential fly fishing answer to soft plastics...easy to tie your own and get as creative as you want with colours and adding lead to the hook shank......find fast water and focus on the current seams or back eddies....get upstream and toss your line out directly downstream and hold your fly exactly where you want it, strip the minnow, let the current push it back, whatever....if there's a bass holding near by it's deadly, can't resist it for very long

i find nymphing usually hits the smaller, juvenile fish but it does get you good numbers....crayfish, leeches, streamers and poppers are my bread n butter for big smallies.

for deep pools pickup a spare spool and either sink tip or full sink line and drag a crayfish pattern across bottom in the deepest part of the pool and along the edges and drop offs

one of my fav flies and not too well known is the gummy minnow...essential fly fishing answer to soft plastics...easy to tie your own and get as creative as you want with colours and adding lead to the hook shank......find fast water and focus on the current seams or back eddies....get upstream and toss your line out directly downstream and hold your fly exactly where you want it, strip the minnow, let the current push it back, whatever....if there's a bass holding near by it's deadly, can't resist it for very long

:clapping:

Very Nice . . . Thanks. I'm going to look into the gummy - the lord knows I love my soft plastics.