Wading the Grand

Mike Pike

What a glorious summer morning!

Packed the waders, fishing vest, rod and tackle in the trunk last night so I could get away nice and early this morning. Made it to the Grand River in the Caledonia area right at sun up and started to drift the river for Smallmounth( or anything else that would take my bait ).

The river was still pretty murky from our recent rains with only a few inches of visibility. Looks way nicer in the picture. lol

Fisherman_3.jpg?t=1280782520

Not a big fan of wading the river with so little vis and took it pretty easy. Don't like getting dunked even if it's such a warm day.

Finally got this pale little 14-incher to take my worm. A nice fight and then released.

Bass1_1.jpg?t=1280782981

Bass2_2.jpg?t=1280783049

And what would a morning fishing the Grand be without a visit from the World's Greatest Sportfish! Notice how pale it is too. It's amazing how quickly the fish get light coloured when the river gets stained with the rains.

WGS_7.jpg?t=1280783162

Things quited down so I changed locations and the species changed too. My first Kitty this year and a nice surprise.

Kitty1_4.jpg?t=1280783410

Kitty3_5.jpg?t=1280783460

Nothing huge today but still a great way to spend a holiday morning.

River_6.jpg?t=1280783591

I know you did Bushart. I remember your some of your posts. And didn't you do a painting of that old white building just down from the dam?

This one? I would love to see a pic of the painting one day!

caledonia 1.jpg

caledonia 2.jpg

caledonia 3.jpg

Edited by vinnimon

Yup, that's the building. I'm pretty sure Bushart painted it. If I remember correctly, it was done as he remembered it as a child. Or am I thinking of something else?

If he did paint it,I would surely like to see it indeed!Thats the exact spot where I got hooked on fishing when I was a tot,thanks to my Dad and Uncles!thumbsup_anim.gif Pees off my Mom and wife that Im always busy with some important things to do! Like,FISHING OF COARSE!thumbsup_anim.gif

Hi Guys,

Yeah I painted one from memory a while ago---a little artistic licence from my youth.

Thanks Again

sit.jpg

excelent work bushart.

I may be driving threw there tomorrow,in that will take a pic for you,from that same exact spot!

Nice report Mike, had my first outing on the Grand at Paris on Saturday and connected with a few smallies on the fly and the water was murky then too, looking forward to going back when the level is back down again.

Good you connected your first time out and in those conditions. Paris is a neat place to fish because there are a few good places downtown to have a bite and refreshments afterwards. Goodluck on your next trip.

You're lucky especially living where you do and all those rivers! Good on ya.

Yep, I'm just a stone's throw away from good browns and good smallies (though I tone down the browns after bass opens for mortality rate reasons). I'm looking forward to getting a few September browns before the season ends though.

I'll have to try and get down to Caledonia at some point this season and see what kind of SMB I can get into. Got a few more on the rivers tonight, but nothing to brag about this time (big guy tonight was 14" though I saw an abnormally large snapping turtle who swam right up to me and hung out beside me for 5 minutes. He even did this lean back thing and stuck his head out of the water . . . strange).

Ryan