quick question about carp

livinisfishin

There is tons of carp on the lake that I am fishing. Problem is they get right into this really thick bunch of pencil weeds that stick 3ft out of the water. The only reason I know they are there is when I decide to go right through the middle if I get a lure stuck. I want to know what kind of setup would work Good to put the bait right at the edge of the bed. But also able to keep it in spot so the wind does not make it drift all over? Thanks in advance.

There is tons of carp on the lake that I am fishing. Problem is they get right into this really thick bunch of pencil weeds that stick 3ft out of the water. The only reason I know they are there is when I decide to go right through the middle if I get a lure stuck. I want to know what kind of setup would work Good to put the bait right at the edge of the bed. But also able to keep it in spot so the wind does not make it drift all over? Thanks in advance.

Most of us carpers use a method feeder or spring feeder above the swivel of our hair rig to which we pack a bait ball of moistened ground bait...this sits on bottom and disolves slowly and hopefully when the carp start feeding on the ground bait it picks up the corn (or whatever) we have threaded on our hair rig...

We usually toss out some boiled and flavoured maize also in the same area to attract the carp...don't usually have a problem with the wind scattering the chum, just the current if fishing a river...

Are you fishing from shore or from a boat?

Edited by Beans

Go to a local feed store or TSC . Buy a bag ( 25 kg. ) of feed corn.

Get the biggest pot you have. Fill it 1/2 way with the corn. Add water to about 3 inches above the corn. Bring it up to a boil, turn the heat down to minimun. Leave it for about 1 hr with the lid on. Check it periodically to make sure you don't use up all the water and scorch the corn. Add a little water if neccessary. Turn off the heat and let it sit overnight. Take the boiled corn out with you in your boat. Dump it in a good spot outside the weed bed, maybe upwind or upcurrant from the weeds. Wait about an hr. Fish with your bait beside the feed bed you have created. Have fun. :) Hope this helps.

Oh ya. If you do this repeatedly you will get even better results.

Edited by hammercarp

The quickest and simplest solution is to buy couple of cans of canned corn and just throw it on the edge of the weed bed where you wanted to cast for them.

Save one can for fishing. Put couple of kernels on your hook and cast where you chummed. Use a sinker so your bait sinks to the bottom and stays there. Leave your drag lose and stay close to the rod.

Thats as simple as it can be really.

Good luck

Agree with hammer. I had the same problem at a local spot. I boiled up a 50kg bag of field corn and thew it out in a area about the size of a garbage bin lid. I threw out a good amount every day for three days. Now everything in the chummed area is spotless. By scooping the chum in one area where there is a high concentration of weed, the carp will thrash around basically ripping out all the weeds and leaving a prefect spot for your hook bait.