The Norseman

danc

Since early March I've been working in Red Lake Ontario. There's a sign on the main road as you enter Red Lake that claims it as the Norseman capital of the world, with a picture of a float plane beside it. "Cool" I thought when I first arrived. Every town has it's claim to fame. Apparently Red Lake honours some kind of float plane. When the ice finally melted, a large float plane that taxied outside my window every mornming at 5 am became my alarm clock. It was a Norseman. I became interested in these planes and did some research. They were built in Montreal from some time in the 1930's (I forget the actual year) until 1959. They were dubbed "The work horse of the north". Anyways, I was fortunate enough to be in Red Lake last weekend for the 75th annual Norseman Festival. Of 903 Norseman ever built, there are less than 30 still airworthy. And about 10 of them were in Red Lake for the weekend. Unfortunately for me, I had to work that weekend, as I do every day that I,m there. But we managed to get off a few hours early for the festival. Here's a few photos that I took of these historical planes.

nman14.jpg

nman13.jpg

9 cylinder Pratt and Whitney powerhouse. By the way, the building under the right wing with the overhang is where I live.

nman12.jpg

It's a dogs life.

nman8.jpg

nman10-1.jpg

5:30 am. Off to work. Photo from my dock.

nman4.jpg

nman5.jpg

Apparently Canada am was there filming. Anybody see it??

nman6.jpg

My alarm clock.

nman9.jpg

The only two bladed prop.

nman3.jpg

From our deck.

nman11.jpg

Awesome planes. I took this picture when I was in Red Lake. I do not know what these planes are, not Norseman but cool anyways. I think the yellow one is a caravan but I would not even begin to know.

IMG_0705.jpg

Edited by Grimace

the yellow plane is a dehavilland Otter, has a passenger abiltiy of 9 people and gear.

the silver plane is a beechcraft 18 . it is another workhorse in our area. some pilots swear by it's great ability to fly but others have told me that even though it has 2 engines, if 1 quits, you are in serious trouble as they don't turn well on 1 engine.

I've ridden on two of the Norseman, the one from Chimo and the one formerly in use at Viking Air. Both nice rides. They'll haul a ton, but not on a hot day with sparse air. Rode one in August 1972 that had to turn around because of a hump in the road. Returned around 8 p.m. and lifted right off. In the heat of the day we made several attempts at becoming airborn. No breeze made it tough. Finally made it by riding the wakes of a couple of boats. Never got far off the water.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Cool pics DanC. I have a painting of a norseman on my living room wall. Tough sale with the wife but a definite Dr. Sal touch on the household!

Canada's leading ace in WW II was a guy named George Frederick "Buzz" Beurling . He died ferrying a Noorduyn Norseman to Israel, so I doubt he thinks they are as cool as we do!!!!

Great post! I love float plane photos and yours are excellent.

Jim