FISH -A - THON FOR CANCER 2010

Hey Guys!

Short and sweet. I won't bore you with the details but I haven't had ANY time this summer so I figured I better just drop a thread and get some talking started about this year's 2nd Annual Fish-A-Thon for Cancer. I threw last years event together at the last minute when I found out we were going to lose Ginny's grandmother to Cancer. After losing to many friends and family members I decided I had enough and wanted to contribute in some way. So I started a Fish-A-Thon for Cancer event. With help from many OFC members as well as from new friends that I made from a local board it was a complete success!

Here's a shot of last year's group that Grandma cut from the paper. Death was on her doorstep, but she managed a smile from ear to ear when she saw this.

FAFC.jpg

Granda and the kids....

IMG_3991.jpg

Many have already contacted me and offered to help, mostly guys from last year - you know who you are and I thank you for staying on me. Let's try to plan a day to put some things together.

For those who participated last year, what did you like, dislike? What would you like to see happen this year? Are you willing to fish in it again, and most importantly let's work on setting a date.

For the new members of OFC who are curious to see what it's all about check out my final report from last year here.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35222&st=0&p=373535&hl=cancer&fromsearch=1entry373535

In Point Form:

- Just like a walk-a-thon except we fish non-stop for a set amount of time

- You get forms and collect pledges for your "fish-a-thon" It can be as little as a 25 cent pledge! Every bit helps.

- We get prizes from various members and other sources.

- Last year we did "most pledges", "big fish", and a Draw for pledgers to have a chance to win something.

- Post fish-a-thon BBQ

So get talking, give me some ideas, if you are able to donate something, or make a pledge, please let me know and we'll set something up. If you're interested in being a fish-a-thon'er shoot me a PM. It's all going to happen real quick just as it did last year, and with the exception of some more advertising and promotion through News Paper and Radio we'll be relying on women and men like you to spread the word!

You really can make a difference, even if it's something as small as making a cancer victim smile.

Thanks OFC - As always.

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

PM SENT!

Got it!

For everybody that is curious, It's a great day of fishing, meeting new friends and having a hell of a good time!

Ryan, you mind if I post this on WFN and try and get some people?

DO it up Dan! Thanks again for offering to help out with this!

Do you have a specific date in mind? Just checked out last years post (pretty sure I recognize that spot, camped there for three nights in August :D ) not too far from home at all.

It was at Deer Creek last year. I've had suggestions from friends like James Hind who was last years big winner with the most pledges, but if it all works out I think we'll be doing at Deer Creek again. Beautiful spot and if I can I'll pre-fish and figure them out to see if I can get everybody on some good fish!

I am thinking either the 21st or 28th would work best :dunno:

I haven't looked the calendar, but just for the sake of getting everything done on time and having the most advertising, pledge donation time and success of the event the 28th would be better... we'll see what everybody has to say about dates...

Cheers,

Ryan

Got it!

DO it up Dan! Thanks again for offering to help out with this!

It was at Deer Creek last year. I've had suggestions from friends like James Hind who was last years big winner with the most pledges, but if it all works out I think we'll be doing at Deer Creek again. Beautiful spot and if I can I'll pre-fish and figure them out to see if I can get everybody on some good fish!

I haven't looked the calendar, but just for the sake of getting everything done on time and having the most advertising, pledge donation time and success of the event the 28th would be better... we'll see what everybody has to say about dates...

Cheers,

Ryan

Heading up to Restoule on the 21st, might be able to make the 28th, and, yes Deer Creek is a beautiful little spot.

Hey Guys,

I've already gotten a couple of PM's from people who'd like to be Fish-A-Thon'ers and I've even had offers for potential prizes! It amazes me how fast the people of OFC respond.

Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we'll have a date set and we can really start to lay out a plan!

Cheers,

Ryan

I don't have much nice to give away, wouldn't mind offering up some un-opened japanese lures! Hopefully the date you guys decide is kosher with my work schedule! Look forward to the event, as I remember reading the posts after the event! Looks like fun was had by all... and you can't go wrong with charity!

hello Ryan

I would love to participate some how. i lost my Son Chris a couple years ago to Cancer. do you have a website with more info? where when etc...?

thanks

Rob aka Speedtroll

Hey Guys!

Short and sweet. I won't bore you with the details but I haven't had ANY time this summer so I figured I better just drop a thread and get some talking started about this year's 2nd Annual Fish-A-Thon for Cancer. I threw last years event together at the last minute when I found out we were going to lose Ginny's grandmother to Cancer. After losing to many friends and family members I decided I had enough and wanted to contribute in some way. So I started a Fish-A-Thon for Cancer event. With help from many OFC members as well as from new friends that I made from a local board it was a complete success!

Here's a shot of last year's group that Grandma cut from the paper. Death was on her doorstep, but she managed a smile from ear to ear when she saw this.

FAFC.jpg

Granda and the kids....

IMG_3991.jpg

Many have already contacted me and offered to help, mostly guys from last year - you know who you are and I thank you for staying on me. Let's try to plan a day to put some things together.

For those who participated last year, what did you like, dislike? What would you like to see happen this year? Are you willing to fish in it again, and most importantly let's work on setting a date.

For the new members of OFC who are curious to see what it's all about check out my final report from last year here.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35222&st=0&p=373535&hl=cancer&fromsearch=1entry373535

In Point Form:

- Just like a walk-a-thon except we fish non-stop for a set amount of time

- You get forms and collect pledges for your "fish-a-thon" It can be as little as a 25 cent pledge! Every bit helps.

- We get prizes from various members and other sources.

- Last year we did "most pledges", "big fish", and a Draw for pledgers to have a chance to win something.

- Post fish-a-thon BBQ

So get talking, give me some ideas, if you are able to donate something, or make a pledge, please let me know and we'll set something up. If you're interested in being a fish-a-thon'er shoot me a PM. It's all going to happen real quick just as it did last year, and with the exception of some more advertising and promotion through News Paper and Radio we'll be relying on women and men like you to spread the word!

You really can make a difference, even if it's something as small as making a cancer victim smile.

Thanks OFC - As always.

Cheers,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gang!

Sorry I haven't been able to firm up many details - I was waiting to hear back from the conservation authority about gas motors, trying to finalize a date and have had some recent family developments that ate into my time... I had a few people who really wanted to participate but didn't think they could make the 28th. I want to get as many people involved so if I could get a "show of hands" for hte 28th that'd be huge - if the numbers are to small maybe we'll look at a different date?

I might start a "show of hands" thread if we don't get many responses as a newer thread always gets peoples attention... Also I'm away as of tomorrow morning for 4 days so I'll likely pass some things off to somebody else to help out some while I'm away.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hey Gang!

Sorry I haven't been able to firm up many details - I was waiting to hear back from the conservation authority about gas motors, trying to finalize a date and have had some recent family developments that ate into my time... I had a few people who really wanted to participate but didn't think they could make the 28th. I want to get as many people involved so if I could get a "show of hands" for hte 28th that'd be huge - if the numbers are to small maybe we'll look at a different date?

I might start a "show of hands" thread if we don't get many responses as a newer thread always gets peoples attention... Also I'm away as of tomorrow morning for 4 days so I'll likely pass some things off to somebody else to help out some while I'm away.

Cheers,

Ryan

We could start a poll with a few dates and see whats best