Bait Sizes & largies

So we talk about what size of bait to use. Well, today I was out on the lake, and we accidentally spooked a mom duck and her two young ones. These ducklings weren't babies by any means, but couldn't get off the water just yet. They went a good 30 feet before there was an explosion in the water and 2 ducklings became one.... about a minute or so later 1 of them pops up and is obviously injured... we caught up and there was a big giant largie circling around under the injured ducking... we followed it to shore... it struggled to make it there, but mom eventually came back and we can only hope the juvenile duck will be ok... I still just can't believe a largemouth bass would try to eat a duck! lol I mean this thing was half the size of it's mom and was BOOKIN' it across the lake...

anyways, never second guess big, fast moving top water baits. I know after witnessing this first hand that I'll be trying some big top waters for lagies in the near future.

Cheers,

Ryan

i've read somewhere before that predatory fish like pike, musky, and bass control about 10% of the duck population every year. i've personally seen pike slam into ducks but not a bass yet.

when it comes to bass in general lol just play the song "hungry eyes" in your head cause if it looks interesting and their hungry it wont be alive long no matter how big..

ask fisherpete about his over achieving walleyes on musky baits lol.

Damn if the weather forecast for this weekend didn't look so terrible I'd be down there and beat you to it SRT8. Thanks Ryan now I'm going to be climbing the walls for the next week waiting to get down there.

Edited by Bassaholic

I saw somthing similar last year. there was a smaller robin in the middle of a bay on scugog trying desperately to get up and out of the water but couldnt. and was some what doing a butterfly stroke.. sort of like the Heddon Crazy Crawlers. and we saw a swirl behind it.. me and my buddy watched for a minuted but couldnt take it any more.. we ended up goin over in the boat and scooping her up. and we saw two bass probably 2 lbs each that ended up takin off once we got there. ended up putting the bird on an old towel and it sat there for about an hour and a half chirping us (probably making fun of how many fish we kept loosing) but she ended up flying off across the bay and into a tree.

I fished a bass tourney in early August last year. We had a 5+ largie in a well isolated from the others. I check on the biggie a few minutes after putting it in there and to my surprise my live well is chuck full of feathers. We are talking August, so probably not a small duck!