Callander Bay , Nipissing

fisher

We have rented a cottage in Callander Bay from Rob Hyatt for the first week of August and am looking forward to doing some walleye fishing. Haven't been up there in over 8 years and am hoping and wondering if the fishing is going to be as good as it was when I was there last. It was so good when we were there last, that it was as though we were getting sunfish - every drift, a walleye - sometimes doubles. I really doubt it will be the same but am hoping it will be.

Anyone have any insight they want to share on what to expect when I go up and maybe what lures to stock up on before I go?

I've been out on Nip a lot lately and it may be just because I aint a pro, but its allays hit or miss. We usually go to the same few spots, and every day, the results varies. We fish anywhere from 18-28 fow.

Stock up on jigs. Bring a variety of weights as well. When its real calm, I love using a really light jig. You can feel the hits much better. We mainly use worms for bait, but minnows and leaches work too. Gook luck!

I've been out on Nip a lot lately and it may be just because I aint a pro, but its allays hit or miss. We usually go to the same few spots, and every day, the results varies. We fish anywhere from 18-28 fow.

Stock up on jigs. Bring a variety of weights as well. When its real calm, I love using a really light jig. You can feel the hits much better. We mainly use worms for bait, but minnows and leaches work too. Gook luck!

Sounds like the same depths we had the success on when I was there last...only we drifted with bottom bouncers and a worm harness.

Edited by fisher

Sounds like the same depths we had the success on when I was there last...only we drifted with bottom bouncers and a worm harness.

90% of the time we're drifting as well. All depends on the wind.

nipissing can be frustrating. especially on windy days haha, start with doing what worked last time and take it from there. I have never met Rob H. before but everyong on the area says he is the best expert on the lake. Im sure he could get you into fish if the bite slows down

I heard from family that the bite has been on for walleye in front of the north bay beaches/gov dock. Have nto heard to much from calandar bay though

Good luck!

Cheers!

Guest Johnny Bass

The trick is to go SLOW!! If you have a nice slow drift that's good. If the drift is too fast, try back trolling against the current. It will slow your presentation down. When you find them? Stick to that depth.

fisher,

walleye are biting really well on Callander Bay now. most success is in 17-20 fow and using worms or minnows.you can find them off of the points, along the weedbeds, and the mid water humps. If you get the right drift wind you will find them close to bottom. bottom bouncer will work but is really not necessary if drift is slow. just a split shot and a go getter (in line spinner) or even a hook and live bait with the split shot up 10-15" form the hook. Check out the Slow Death hooks they will getthem biting.

problem might be catching keepers as a lot of slot size walley have been caught this summer. It will probably be mostly slots for the next couple of years.