Lots of Stripping Going On

TC1OZ

Well the topic is a bit misleading :whistling:

But I'm having an issue with my Minn Kota Trolling Motor.

The mechanism that stops the shaft from going up and down has stripped, the bolt that's used for tightening it can just be pulled out by hand!

stripped.png

I bought this used from someone, and I had it out on the water several times with no issues. Just happened this weekend when I was out on the water. I have no idea if its under warranty and I think Minn Kota has shut down till after the 4th...

I figure I could buy a bigger bold to just re-thread it...?

While I was out over the holiday I just used some duct tape on the bottom once I got it lined up... but it just looks like trash! (it did work however)

Anyone else experienced this what did you do to fix it?

(thanks in advance)

Look into having a helicoil put in.CTC has them.Cheap do it yourself.

Will have to stop by on the way home... Haven't seen anything like this before.

Thanks! I knew posting on here would get me more ideas!

Will have to stop by on the way home... Haven't seen anything like this before.

Thanks! I knew posting on here would get me more ideas!

You could also just drop by any machanic shop and have them do it quick.

That turn handle thingy can't be too expensive. I would just replace that, assuming the threading is ok. And stop reefing on it :sarcasm:

$28 for the plastic replacement :

MinnKotaMountBracketLrg07.jpg

$78 for the metal replacement :

MinnMetalHingeBraktTop.jpg

Not to mention taxes & shipping.

I only paid 100$ for the motor & battery.

I'm sure some other people have ideas too! But this helicoil looks like what I need.

$28 for the plastic replacement :

MinnKotaMountBracketLrg07.jpg

$78 for the metal replacement :

MinnMetalHingeBraktTop.jpg

Not to mention taxes & shipping.

I only paid 100$ for the motor & battery

I'm sure some other people have ideas too! But this helicoil looks like what I need.

That's the only place I could find that sells the parts.... Anyone know of anything in Canada?

Could you not MacGyver it and use an automotive hose clamp around the shaft above the stripped out collar?

Dan.

You can... I mean I "fixed" it with duct tape, but its a hack job. And the hose clamp would for sure qualify as a hack job.

The main issue with that "fix" is when the boat is going with the engine the trolling motor will catch in the water and fly off to the end (possibly ripping off the controller)... Lots of adjustments to get it to operate safely that way.

I'd rather do it right (and cheap).

Had the same thing happen to mine. I fixed it by installing a nut on the inside. Takes a little bit of work but mines better than new. You have to take the top off which is the control handle so you can get the clamp off. You disconnect the wires inside 1 black 1 red, 1 white 1 yellow. After clamp is off you take the insert out and the little piece that the thump screw pushes on. I took a electric soldering gun and melted a counter sink hole around were the thump screw comes through on the inside to fit a nut. I got a nut the same size and thread as the thump screw. Make sure you don't melt to much, a little at a time. Once I got a bit of a hole the size of the nut that the nut would stay I put the gun on the nut so the nut would melt into the plastic. I found a longer bolt the same size to help keep the nut in-line with the hole. The nut doesn't have to be right flush because there is enough play. I also knock the pin out of the tilting part, made it allot easier. If you live in Hamilton you could drop by I'd show you mine. They should have made them that way. A friend of mine has the same problem and I'm sure there's lot with the same thing.

I'll post a wiring picture in a couple mins.

39084957.jpg

26203097.jpg

61176350.jpg

minnkotamountbracketlrg.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Had the same thing happen to mine. I fixed it by installing a nut on the inside. Takes a little bit of work but mines better than new. You have to take the top off which is the control handle so you can get the clamp off. You disconnect the wires inside 1 black 1 red, 1 white 1 yellow. After clamp is off you take the insert out and the little piece that the thump screw pushes on. I took a electric soldering gun and melted a counter sink hole around were the thump screw comes through on the inside to fit a nut. I got a nut the same size and thread as the thump screw. Make sure you don't melt to much, a little at a time. Once I got a bit of a hole the size of the nut that the nut would stay I put the gun on the nut so the nut would melt into the plastic. I found a longer bolt the same size to help keep the nut in-line with the hole. The nut doesn't have to be right flush because there is enough play. I also knock the pin out of the tilting part, made it allot easier. If you live in Hamilton you could drop by I'd show you mine. They should have made them that way. A friend of mine has the same problem and I'm sure there's lot with the same thing.

Excellent. I read on several forums they send you the same part to replace it with... And even if I get the part back under warranty I think I'd rather do something like what you did. (since you have to take the head off the unit anyways)

I don't understand why they make the part like that... Its obvious that you need metal on metal... All it takes is one or two twists with pressure on the wrong angle and shes a goner!

I look forward to seeing your pictures! After I mow the lawn I'll have to get searching for a nut to fit the bolt and plug in the old soldering iron!

That helicoil looks like it can get expensive to buy the entire kit (more than the entire replacement of the transom mount).

I think the project will be fun, and at the end of the day if I totally screw it up I can just buy a new mount.....

39084957.jpg

26203097.jpg

61176350.jpg

minnkotamountbracketlrg.jpg

Are we talking about the same part???

screwededup.jpg

Yes we are, Your lucky that you didn't lose the thump nut in the water like my buddy. I was luck as you, it stripped in my hand. Just watch you don't melt to much. that piece is thick where the thread is. Just go easy. I wish I could be there to help. I hope you understand what I posted. I'm going out to take a picture of mine, after shot. Be back in a couple Min's.

Picture is a little blurry, see the the nut inside.

14391306.jpg

29300694.jpg

13944165.jpg

27459765.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Yes we are, Your lucky that you didn't lose the thump nut in the water like my buddy. I was luck as you, it stripped in my hand. Just watch you don't melt to much. that piece is thick where the thread is. Just go easy. I wish I could be there to help. I hope you understand what I posted. I'm going out to take a picture of mine, after shot. Be back in a couple Min's.

You don't have to! I re-read your first post and I understand.

You were showing me the wires so that I could re-connect them again! I always bust out the digital camera if I have to disconnect something and it goes in a special order (or not obvious) or I lay the parts in the order in which I removed them.

Thanks again, I look forward to this little project!

I as well stripped mine in my hand, I was so angry I wanted to just chuck it but I was smart enough to ask my friend to kindly place it in my fishing gear!

:clapping:

Did you see the nut picture? I think my motor is a little older than yours ,but almost looks the same. Mines a 30 LB thrust, my pin looks a little heavier. I knock it out with a smaller bolt and hammer, mine came out pretty easy.

Yes sir! Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes tonight!

you could try a 2 part epoxy then drill and tap it

But you are still screwing a metal bolt into an epoxy/plastic thread.

With my beefy hands I'll strip it 10 times faster than I could do that repair!

Good luck Bud, Now I got to get my :asshat: in gear, Spiel and myself are headin out Salmon fishin. Probably another post later, I hope with some fish :rolleyes::D

Good luck! I'm gonna post my report in the next couple of hours from my vacation. Stuck at work for now :(