Sluggish bass?

Sketty55

Hi all. I havent' posted in a few years but with the G20 and G8 summits now over, the government has inspired me to solicit and gain all of your support, collect donations and build millions of dollars of security gates around my favourite lakes to prevent anyone else from accessing them. If i run out of funding i'll just implement my own version of the HST. So let the posting begin!

Actually, my wife and I had a daughter 10 months ago so I haven't had the time for much fishing during her pregnancy and after.

However, I managed a trip to the Kawarthas last week at a regular spot, and hope i'll have the chance to make a few more trips this summer. Now ive been to this spot for some shore fishing the past few years with decent results for smallies. What ive noticed each time ive gone is one or two huge bass in about 10ft of water. They often follow my lure but i've only been able to hook into one of them with a 5 inch green pumpkin senko, once. After a tough fight I got him about one foot away from me before losing him. On my most recent trip I noticed one of these giants again, and it continued the pattern of following the lure but not committing. Any suggestions for sluggish Kawartha smallies?

Thanks!

This whole time starting from the bass opener has been tough fishing for myself. With this slightly colder weather, I found fish to be slow to attack baits. My thinking would be to put something in front of them with some more flavour, gulp/etc. and dragging it slowly across the bottom with a jighead.