Transfer Ownership of Boat Question? (Buying)

Nemo

Thought I would start here......

Asking what is required to transfer ownership of a boat and trailer that I am considering buying second hand.

I am going to see the boat Saturday and want to know what paperwork, costs, things to look out for etc is involved.

Thanks in advance.

Nemo

Having recently done this.

Receipts: get the seller to give you separate receipts for the boat, trailer & motor (if applicable)

To transfer the trailer: go to your MTO with receipt for trailer and trailer ownership (signed over to you). You will pay tax on this plus cost of plating. This is why you don't put the boat/motor on the same receipt as trailer.

To transfer the boat: go to Service Canada with Bill of Sale and the Boat Reg. Number. It's free.

Edited by Raf

You will pay taxes on the trailer to the MTO..

it is also wise to pay the taxes required on the hull and motor as well @ the MTO.. be sure to keep the documentation.

if you dont pay it on the hull and motor be prepared to receive a letter in the mail from the government demanding payment... (could be years later..) It happens all the time...

G

Thought I would start here......

Asking what is required to transfer ownership of a boat and trailer that I am considering buying second hand.

I am going to see the boat Saturday and want to know what paperwork, costs, things to look out for etc is involved.

Thanks in advance.

Nemo

Get a minimal amount receipt for a few hund bucks.Have the receipt state that the trailer was purchased for set amount and the boat was grattis!Works everytime.When it comes to insuring the boat and putting a value on it,Tell the ins company that you fixed it up.

Not sure where you are located!In hamilton there is a service canada that does this at barton st and kenora ave off the red hill expressway.Thats to get registration # and transfer ownership of the boat only.

I did this last year, and there are a couple of different scenarios.

If it is a 9.9 HP or under (which mine was)you dont need to register the boat, or pay any taxes on it, you only need to register the trailer, apparently the boat is almost considered a canoe. There should be 2 parts on the trailer ownership, the current owners half, and a buyers half, you just fill out your info, get the current owner to sign it, and bring a bill of sale (for as little as reasonably possible) you shouldnt have any issues.

If it is greater than 9.9 HP then you need to register the boat, I think that you can transfer the registration from one owner to the next, you would still need receipts for the trailer, and the boat, and the current ownership of the boat aswell, but this I havent actually done before, so the other advice that these gentleman might give you would be of more use to you.

Also check out the government of Canada website, you might be able to find out some info there.