Lake Trout On Georgian Bay

LegitFish

Any one know the restrictions for Trout around Killbear Provincial Park? Last time I was there, I saw signs saying something about no trout fishing. I was on a canoe at the south western tip. I paddle east a little, and met a couple of guys on a boat down rigging (for trout?)

I also looked in the regulations for Zone 14, but am unable to interpret the locations mentioned in the exceptions.

Please help.

Thanks.

Honestly you'll need a map. The waters (channel) are off limits for lake trout, not all trout/salmon. In the Sound expect moslty deep 100"+ water hence the downriggers. On the east side of Killbear you will see folks fishing - which is outside the protected area. The protected area is described in the regs - I couldn't do any better. The regs can be difficult to follow.

Pointe au baril, near parry sound

I have spent my life cottaging the area. I wouldn't mind knowing the same thing that you are after. I have gone out to the bay for other fish, but I have never crossed the highway to fish for lakers and always stay inland for them. I would be interested to make that attempt if I knew a little more detail about the where/when/how's. Hmm. I have the small craft nautical charts for severn to the sound, but it challenging to see fish swimming around on a paper map ... unless you are an artist and sketch them in. I'm thinking it's easier to spin the bottle on the map and go to whatever location it points to.

Drop a lure on any shoal in the big sound and hang on.....more fish than you can shake a stick at....it should take no more than 35 seconds to hook a laker there.

I have spent my life cottaging the area. I wouldn't mind knowing the same thing that you are after. I have gone out to the bay for other fish, but I have never crossed the highway to fish for lakers and always stay inland for them. I would be interested to make that attempt if I knew a little more detail about the where/when/how's. Hmm. I have the small craft nautical charts for severn to the sound, but it challenging to see fish swimming around on a paper map ... unless you are an artist and sketch them in. I'm thinking it's easier to spin the bottle on the map and go to whatever location it points to.

• 2 years later...

I'm still confused over this - after fishing there 2 summers where I thought I was safe once again I'm unsure. I thought that the 'triangle' formed by the Killbear lighthouse, Depot Harbour marker and some other point was a 'fish' zone... I could better interpret the Reg's if I new where Cadotte Point was and the Nias Islands..... I think. Anyone know this yet?