Rigging the Ranger

Gman

Was the perfect weekend to get a great start on getting the boat rigged. Had pretty much everything I needed and knew what I needed to do with regards to the Lowrance network installation and what went where etc- for starters. For once the weather was perfect for what we were doing

This has been my plan - Ranger ran the backbone of the network along with thru hull transducer and temp gauge and wired in the US2 from my Minnkota Fortrex to the network. Once it's all done I will be running 2, HDS8 units at the console with structure scan with a 3rd networked zone up at the bow with the ability to remove 1, HDS8 from the console from the RAM mount and install up @ bow.

Essentially spent both saturday and sunday rigging - there was a lot and you've got yo be on your toes. I'm a big believer in doing it right the first time.

Saturday morning dad and I started bright and early completing the bow first. Ranger makes it super easy once you find the friggin wiress if they weren't zip tied and pushed back up under. But when you do find them the positives and negates are tied together and labeled with nodes - just put in your wires accordingly, crimp and shrink tup'em and voila. Then we got to installing the LSS-1 module in the front starboard storage locker. Each network station has an ethernet cable running from it to the LSS-1 structure scan module (capacity of 3 units) ran all those. The fished the structure scan transducer and cable from the sterm up the the front storage locker -quuite easy with Ranger's rigging tubes! Just had enough cable. almost as if it were custom made for this install!

Now Ranger's console has 3 auxiliary keys wired, zip tied and labeled. Found the wires, pushed backup under the gunnel. I mean if someone did not tell you they were up there you wouldn't know they were there.

Anyways, we wired the LSS-1 to Auxiliary 1 (A1) HDS 8 #1 to A2 and HDS8 to A3. The bottom HDS can be flush mounted but not sure if I want to do that. This was my original plan so I'm gonna try it for a bit cause once that hole is cut for the flush mount there's no going back! Besides easier to replace or troubleshoot a non flush mount unite than one that is.

here's where we were getting ready to cut out the dash then chickened out :lol:

HDS8install1.jpg

Front view - that green tape will be removed and replace with a clam shell vent cover. Just none around my area when I need one BPS has'em so I'll it tomorra

HDS8install2.jpg

Top view -

HDS8install3.jpg

Front view -

HDS8install4.jpg

With the LSS-1 and ethernet cables run to all units I can get structure scan on all.

Also ran the cable for the down speed/temp gauge. Going with Depth Raider again as it takes up little real estate and it removes easily.

just a comment/tip, when you're doing this much rigging to a boat and to avoid the possibility of any errors you have to constantly be thinking 1-2 steps ahead.

Now on to the rigger installation -

The first picture is self explanatory

Riggerinstall1.jpg

That glass we drilled thru was a little over 3/4" thick. Put backing plates as well as double up on some washer, used pozi-lok nuts and applied a some 3M 5200 marine grade adhesive sealants to all bolts. - solid as a ROCK Went real smooth.

Here's a few pics -

Riggerinstall2.jpg

Riggerinstall4.jpg

A close up of the finished rigger install - worked out really well, basically as planned. It's rock solid.

completedrigger1.jpg

completedrigger3.jpg

Here's the riggers in "running & gunning" position -

completedrigger4.jpg

And that's was it. Still got a few little things I need to do and want to clean up which I'm hoping if all goes well this week we'll be good to go next weekend.

Cheers G.

OK, I'll be the first idiot to ask. Why do you need two HDS8's at the console?

He can run one in full mapping mode and the other in sonar.

Or one in full structure scan or regular sonar and one split with mapping.

It gives you more options in how you display all the information.

If he wanted he could even add a BR24 Broadband Radar antenna and use one for radar display and the other in mapping mode for navigating in fog or at night.

Can even splitscreen one with sonar.

Tons of more options with two units. wink2.gif

He can run one in full mapping mode and the other in sonar.

Or one in full structure scan or regular sonar and one split with mapping.

It gives you more options in how you display all the information.

If he wanted he could even add a BR24 Broadband Radar antenna and use one for radar display and the other in mapping mode for navigating in fog or at night.

Can even splitscreen one with sonar.

Tons of more options with two units. wink2.gif

Exactly!

I've also set up with a 3rd networked base up at the bow, so the HDS8 on the RAM can be detached and moved up to the bow in order to accommodate different styles of fishing - think of it as 3 sonars for the price of 2! Their are all linked via ethernet cable connected to the LSS-1 (Lowrance Structure Scan) module mounted in the boat. But remember the LSS-1 transducer is mounted at the back on the hull.

Cheers G.

I really like this networked system,I just have a question if I have one of the units on the bow, the other at the console if I mark a spot on the console unit will the spot be picked up on the bow unit. I guess it would and you can switch the bow mount unit to run on trolling motor transducer aswell. That is a sweet way to go!!!

I really like this networked system,I just have a question if I have one of the units on the bow, the other at the console if I mark a spot on the console unit will the spot be picked up on the bow unit. I guess it would and you can switch the bow mount unit to run on trolling motor transducer aswell. That is a sweet way to go!!!

Canadadue, as long as you have a NMEA 2000 network, yes, the way points will be shared between all units on the network. It's pretty slick.

Cheers G.

Holy crap Gman... talk about going all out. That is a slick rig for sure. I saw you pulling it through Uxbridge last week... or the week before???

I really like the layout of the dual monitors. Ram mount (detachable) and the gimbal mount. If I had the cash (and dash space) I would do something similar. I am interested to know how is the HDS systems linked like that are able to keep up. I have been hearing some of the HDS-5's are little sluggish at times. Think running more than one might slow them down?

Keep us posted.