Sans Souci (Frying Pan Island) Georgian Bay

Hello Everybody,

I've gone and rented a cottage for July 3-10 on Sans Souci, Frying Pan Island in Georgian Bay (Parry Sound, Parry Island General Area). We're parking at another friend's cottage and boating in. I understand the island is home to one of the world's most famous fish restaurants and that it's a gorgeous spot. I'm hoping the spot proves good for fishing as well. For that, I need your help!

What the locals say . . . :

The locals have been telling me there are a lot of Bass and Pike in the area, granted these are locals that don't fish much.

The salmon conundrum:

The boat owner, and my fishing partner for the week, is adamant that we are going for Salmon on a morning-ly basis. As I understand it, the salmon in Georgian Bay are not doing the best right now and this may be a tough fish (I'm not a downrigging fan either). Is it worth dedicating this much time towards salmon?

Some Questions I'd Graciously Like Answered:

Is there a good Walleye fishery in the area?

At what depth will we find most pike at in mid-July? (I'd guess 30-40 feet)

Is anyone familiar with the island itself and the immediately surrounding structure?

At what depth will the bass be at during a warm Georgian Bay mid-July?

Also, if anyone can shed any more light onto the island itself, the surrounding waters, techniques, and anything else, you'd go a long way into making our week more enjoyable (and our end of week report that much better).

Cheers and Thanks in Advance!

Ryan

My parents live about 1/2h by boat south of there

Salmon fishing just plane sucks up there you can catch 4-6lbs lakers all day but salmon are few and far between.

Walleye although getting beter it still not that strong

Pike are faily easy to catch yust lock for weed beds that are neer open deep water that where you will have the best chance at catching a big Pike

Bass are normaly everywere and probibly the easiest to catch

Dan

I have fished there many times, and have stayed on the Island many times. Henry's is great! and Remmy's will sell you beer. Pike can be phenomena, If you're pal is into salmon they can be caught in the bigger water. But my guess is you will be landing more trout.

As Wayne said be VERY careful in this area even the ride out from the marina can be tough if you do not the area.

I would be looking in back bays for Pike, no deeper the 20'

Bass just hit their usual haunts, weeds, structure etc..

Have a great time, it is a beautiful area

G

im guessing there is a lot of pointy rocks, and extremely shallow humps around there? sounds like a paradise wrapped in danger. i was thinking about hitting it this summer. assuming there are channel markers you guys would recommend being as center to them as possible, keeping slow and steady throughout?

I'm planning on boating there from Honey harbour this summer in our bowrider to have some fish and chips from Henry's.

Salmon fishing in Georgian Bay is very very tough and is relegated to the big water in DEEP holes (100+ft). Definitely a lot of trolling.

Walleye fishing might be decent up there if you can find a honey hole.

Bass, should be no problem at all.

Pike, same thing.

My parents live about 1/2h by boat south of there

Salmon fishing just plane sucks up there you can catch 4-6lbs lakers all day but salmon are few and far between.

Walleye although getting beter it still not that strong

Pike are faily easy to catch yust lock for weed beds that are neer open deep water that where you will have the best chance at catching a big Pike

Bass are normaly everywere and probibly the easiest to catch

Dan

Hello Dan, thanks for the post!

AT what depth have you consistently found the lakers? Are they out in the same deep holes? What do you target them with?

The pike battles sound awfully intriguing. Look forward to targeting a few of those alligators.

Ryan

I have fished there many times, and have stayed on the Island many times. Henry's is great! and Remmy's will sell you beer. Pike can be phenomena, If you're pal is into salmon they can be caught in the bigger water. But my guess is you will be landing more trout.

As Wayne said be VERY careful in this area even the ride out from the marina can be tough if you do not the area.

I would be looking in back bays for Pike, no deeper the 20'

Bass just hit their usual haunts, weeds, structure etc..

Have a great time, it is a beautiful area

G

Thanks for the post Gerritt.

Can you elaborate a little on safe boating in the area? What obstructions are we dealing with the most? His boat is well equipped with good electronics, but it is nice to know what we are getting into before getting into it.

Our company built the monopole communication tower on Sans Souci (which is how I became familiar with the area) and we already know Remy. We've rented a great cottage that has a deck that actually goes out into the water. Really looking forward to the paradise!

My buddy likes pike about as much as he likes Salmon. What are you generally tactics in the area? Troll weed beds at 20' or so with access to deeper water? Is Working the back bays in July productive, I thought they'd be out deeper?

Ryan

I'm planning on boating there from Honey harbour this summer in our bowrider to have some fish and chips from Henry's.

Salmon fishing in Georgian Bay is very very tough and is relegated to the big water in DEEP holes (100+ft). Definitely a lot of trolling.

Walleye fishing might be decent up there if you can find a honey hole.

Bass, should be no problem at all.

Pike, same thing.

I've heard that the Salmon fishery up there has really dropped off due to a big decline in baitfish (due to an over-population of Salmon). This is a standard cycle, and unfortunately for Georgian Bay, they are not in the prosperous part of the cycle right now. Hopefully we don't chase the rare GB salmon for too long.

Ryan

What obstructions are we dealing with the most

Same thing you're dealing with on all of Georgian Bay... under water TERRA FIRMA !

Guys that boat it numerous times a week... year after year... still find that hard stuff on occasion...

get a chart. hazards involved include rocks that'll remove your lower unit in a hurry.

sans souci/frying pan is out in the blue water - it's in a good central location, great for sightseeing of all kinds :D but, i dont know the fishing right around the island itself aka there will be boating involved. there is more fishable water then one could fish in a lifetime in the area. you have the moon river delta right there for warm water species and the bay for the salmon/trout. if you're content catching tiny fish, fish the back bays. if you want bigger fish, fish the shoals aka forget about the back bays.

Edited by Raf

Guest gbfisher

Same thing you're dealing with on all of Georgian Bay... under water TERRA FIRMA !

Guys that boat it numerous times a week... year after year... still find that hard stuff on occasion...

Ya just never know when that channel marker will go missing. :whistling:

They stopped the Salmon stocking years ago. :rolleyes:

Their called Giant Hard Back Turtles.....watch out fer those buggers :whistling::whistling:

I know the area well. As Irish said, you have to be VERY careful, especially on the west side of Frying pan, and the surrounding area. Alot of the shoals aren't marked. Indeed, your salmon buddy may have his work cut out for him; I don't think it's been great in recent years. The pike fishing can be terrific in the area, and the bass fishing is as well. You'll have to look hard for walleyes, but I think it's decent a few miles south. Grab a chart and look for the traditional shoals and sharp breaks to depth, and you'll find yourself some pike, and smallies too.

No shortage of smallmouth or pike in that area. Charts and a gps is a good idea.

Fish and chips are great and once you're in the channel, getting to the restaurant is easier----just follow the cabin crusiers!!

Couple pics of the eatery!!!!

fryingpan.jpg

untitled.jpg

Don't run a stainless prop. Use an aluminum prop and have a spare if you do zing a rock. The water in GBay is a fair bit lower than last year. There's quite a few more shoals visible out there. Be smart, be careful, pay attention and don't go ripping around at top speed unless you know the area. You've got a chart, I was going to say go to your nearest West Marine, they have them in stock.

Don't run a stainless prop. Use an aluminum prop and have a spare if you do zing a rock. The water in GBay is a fair bit lower than last year. There's quite a few more shoals visible out there. Be smart, be careful, pay attention and don't go ripping around at top speed unless you know the area. You've got a chart, I was going to say go to your nearest West Marine, they have them in stock.

Thanks again Big Buck. I'll pass the advice on to the boat-owner.

Cheers,

Ryan