Outboard Rough Idle

Lunker777

Hey everyone.

I haven't had a tune up done on my outboard since last year. I stored it in the garage all winter and didnt winterize it. ( its a heated garage so it wouldn't freeze)

Now its starting to give me a little trouble, It fires up after a couple pulls, idles rough as heck, to the point that if I dont give it throttle right when I get it to fire up it will stall.... but runs GREAT at top speed.

Last year I could fire it up with one pull and troll at 2 mph no problem !

I looked on the net for tune up suggestions, but I would like to know what is making it idle rough ??? and what I can do to fix the problem !

Thanks

Hey everyone.

I stored it in the garage all winter and didnt winterize it.

Now its starting to give me a little trouble, It fires up after a couple pulls, idles rough as heck, to the point that if I dont give it throttle right when I get it to fire up it will stall.... but runs GREAT at top speed.

I would like to know what is making it idle rough ??? and what I can do to fix the problem !

Thanks

Well you answered your own question, 50 lashes with 1/0 welding cable will remind you to do a proper winterization. Most likely, dirty low speed carb circuit, clean the carb or pay someone to do it and use Seafoam as a healthy preventative of carb gumming.

The first thing I would do is clean and gap the spark plugs or replace them based on their age and condition. The second thing I would do is add some carburetor cleaner to the fuel mix and run it. The fact that you say it runs fine at top speed would suggest that it`s a problem with the idle circuit. Canadian Tire sells a product called "Small Engine Tune Up." It's a concentrate that you add to the fuel mix which will clean your carburetor and upper cylinders (carbon) as you go. Be sure to mix it to the proper proportions as directed on the label. Too much is not necessarily a good thing as it can break down your oil and reduce lubrication. You may have to run it a couple of times before you realize any improvement. First you need to get it to the internal workings of the carburetor and then it needs to soak and dissolve any gum.

Hope this helps.

#1 You should have winterized it and put new plugs in

#2 Are you using fresh gas?

#3 Seafoam in the fuel (overdose it)

#4 New plugs after Seafoam tank of fuel

#5 Change lower unit oil and impeller

#6 Enjoy

#7 Make sure you winterize it properly this year

#1 You should have winterized it and put new plugs in

#2 Are you using fresh gas?

#3 Seafoam in the fuel (overdose it)

#4 New plugs after Seafoam tank of fuel

#5 Change lower unit oil and impeller

#6 Enjoy

#7 Make sure you winterize it properly this year

1- I know... Im an idiot ! hahah first winter with my own motor, Lesson learned :wallbash:

2- YES.... Ive put roughly 45-50L of fuel through it this year already.

3- Can you buy Seafoam at canadian tire ??

4- So keep the current plugs in... run a tank of "seafoam mix fuel" through it then change to the new plugs ?

5- I changed the oil at the beginning of this year, not the impeller though, it was changed last year. Still pees nice a good

6 - Thank you !!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

7- reffer to #1 for the answer ! haha :blush:

Just picked up a can Seafoam, 2 new spark plugs, and some oil.

What mix should I use for the seafoam to gas/oil mix ?? haha I read the back of the can and it give a pretty big spread... hahah One can for 20-45L of fuel ????? hahaha

Drop the can in 20-30L of fuel/oil mix and go for a nice run. Hopefully that will clean out any gunk in the carb. Run all the fuel through the motor till the tank is about dry. Bring some extra gas obviously. Change the plugs and see how she goes. With any luck, this will get you runnging tickety booh.