In-line spinner question

singingdog

OK, this is for you lure makers. I have been making my own in-line spinners for musky. I ran out of the right size clevis (clevii?) and built one with the blade mounted straight on the wire. It seems to work just fine...spins as easily as the ones I that I have built with a clevis. Is there a reason that no-one builds them this way? If they work just as well, it seems like a way to skip a finicky piece, and a step in the lure-making process.

The problem with leaving that piece out is that now, instead of two smooth flat (usually brass/bronze) surfaces rotating on the wire, you have a sharp edge.

After time it will wear a groove into the wire, causing a reduction in strength.

What he said. You can probably get away with that on small blades such as Panther Martin does.

And BTW, the plural of clevis is clevises. I know this because it's in the dictionary just after cleavage/cleavages. :whistling:

i've been making spinners for quite a few years now for steelies, bass, pike and a few musky bucktails and don't necessarily agree that it will weaken the wire...aka not at all in any of my experience...I've never had an issues and look at a mepps xp or a panther martin...shaft through blade design and no issues for years with either of those models

IMO a clevis will allow the blade to spin with less force and it will put out a bit more vibration than a shaft through blade design...but you'll only notice that on smaller spinners...far less impact on a musky sized spinner

i've been making spinners for quite a few years now for steelies, bass, pike and a few musky bucktails and don't necessarily agree that it will weaken the wire...aka not at all in any of my experience...I've never had an issues and look at a mepps xp or a panther martin...shaft through blade design and no issues for years with either of those models

IMO a clevis will allow the blade to spin with less force and it will put out a bit more vibration than a shaft through blade design...but you'll only notice that on smaller spinners...far less impact on a musky sized spinner

Thanks. I was worried about it being harder to spin, but I don't notice a difference when testing them side-by-side with the clevised spinners I have made.