What to look for when buying a used 9.9(or less) motor

The guy I bought the tinniw from two weeks ago called me up and says he has a 9.9 ( i forgot the brand :wallbash: ) for 275.00.

He says it runs well and will hold it till this Friday for me.

What should I be looking at to see if this thing is any decent condition?

Thanks again. ( pssst..i passed the exam to use it too!)

Take it to a marine mechanic and have a compression test done.

If it checks out tell the seller you'll take it then have the mechanic tune it up for you as well. (change plugs, lower end oil, etc, etc..)

I'd also run a can of Seafoam through the first tank of gas if you buy it.

For $275.. if it runs is all you need to know!

Water pees and motor runs and idles... grab it!

If you want.. grab a compression tester, pull the plugs and pull it over while someone holds the compression tester in each hole.

Pull the lower gear box screw out and get a dab of oil on your fingers and put it back. Clean or milky?

I agree with Irishfield. A running 9.9 for under $300 is a good deal. Get him to run it in a pail for you and if it is pumping out good water and idles nicly then take it. If it has reverse also try it in F and R.

Edited by Nipfisher

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

check the plugs... to see if it is fairly new or if it's old, dirty, whatever... you can tell a lot about how a person maintained a motor by the plugs. a compression tester would be nice but most people don't have one.

the bottom end oil is key. it should be changed each fall. as irish said, see what it looks like. any milky appearance and there's water in it... bad news...

if you can run it in a barrel, see how easily it starts cold. run it as low as you can and see if it stalls out. not much use if it won't troll well for you. how much does it smoke? is there a big sheen on the water after you run it or while trying to start it?

for 275 it could be great but if you end up investing hundreds more to get it to run right, you aren't saving any money.

For $275.. if it runs is all you need to know!

Water pees and motor runs and idles... grab it!

If you want.. grab a compression tester, pull the plugs and pull it over while someone holds the compression tester in each hole.

Pull the lower gear box screw out and get a dab of oil on your fingers and put it back. Clean or milky?

What is " water pees" :unsure:

Irishfield has some good tips for you to look at there! Another thing you can do is look for any stickers and such on the power head (main body of the engine). See if any of these stickers are discoloured or melted. It could indicate a case of over heating at some point. Compression is very important on small engines. Don't take it too lightly!

Good luck!

The first boat i bought was a 1956 5 1/2 H.P. Johnson on an old 12 foot tin boat. I saw it start and run in a water filled drum. The guy wanted cash, but al I had was a cheque. I told him I would bring him the cash the following Friday and he could hold the cheque until then. This gave me a chance to take it back out to the lake and give it a good run. That little boat and motor was great for $500. The seller was on a reserve and I guess he didn't want to show an income. I heard the ad on a "Buy and Sell" radio show.

It was a good deal all around and a good memory! I wish i still had it, but had to give it up to purchase the next one a few years later.

• 4 weeks later...