Using Lights Illegal ?

Afraz

Okay, so i was reading the regs today since i didn't have naything better to do and it mentioned that using lights to attract fish is illegal. Now i was already aware of this but i wonder if this applies to using glowsticks on a lure, like i was planning on making a homemade lure where i could stick a glowsick into it so that at night the fish could see it while i was casting. But would this be considered illegal ? i wouldn't think so since there are glow in teh dark cleos out there and other such lures.

The regs are so vague, least to me. I don;t want to risk anything for no reason.

Thanks in advance guys

Afraz

Okay, so i was reading the regs today since i didn't have naything better to do and it mentioned that using lights to attract fish is illegal. Now i was already aware of this but i wonder if this applies to using glowsticks on a lure, like i was planning on making a homemade lure where i could stick a glowsick into it so that at night the fish could see it while i was casting. But would this be considered illegal ? i wouldn't think so since there are glow in teh dark cleos out there and other such lures.

The regs are so vague, least to me. I don;t want to risk anything for no reason.

Thanks in advance guys

Afraz

i use glowsticks in the belly of certain wood lures all the time ...

they should stipulate maximum luminas/candle/lux/? in the regs...

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198219.pdf

The summary says:

It is illegal to-

Use artificial lights to attract fish except:

– to fish for smelt, or to fish for lake whitefish or lake herring with a dip net

– if the light is part of a lure attached to a line used in angling.

In other words: it is legal if the light is part of a lure attached to your line.

I'm sure others will interpret it differently.

hmm yeah, thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same, cause in saltwater we fish at night casting spoons with glowsticks attached to them. I figured i'd give that a try here for walters and whatever else is chillin in the hood LOL.

Thanks again :)

Just my experiences, here in Ohio it is not illegal to use lights, and back in the day it was common practice for people to hang a Coleman lantern from the oar lock of the boat, they even sold them here.

On lake Erie a light at night would attract Emerald Shiners, which would in turn attract other species of predatory fish, like White bass and walleye.

If you get around docks, breakwalls that have lights on them? There are usually bait fish hanging out near the lights, it gives them a slight edge on the eat or be eaten deal? If there are lighted places in an area I am fishing at night they are worth a few casts.

All that considered, do you need lights? In my opinion no, fished at night for 45 years or so. Lights do make it easier for you to see, but the fish don`t really need them. I have caught bass, walleye, panfish at night with no lights on lures that don`t seem like your idea night time lures, 1/8 ounce jigs, 4 inch plastic worms, and have actually had much better success using these types of lures at night than noisy surface lures.

Some lakes seem to have a much better night bite than others, I have no idea why. I some lakes I have fished a point or area that can be smoking hot at night can shut down completely once boat traffic starts with the daylight. Some swimming areas can be red hot at night, usually ones with a sand and gravel mix, people during the day stir up the sand and gravel and get the baitfish food supply suspended and the crawfish moving.

Other fish like cats don`t need lights, they hunt for food by smell, feel or motion.