TC1OZ

Seriously it was huge...

#1 :

dsc06589e.jpg

#2 :

dsc06590b.jpg

#3 :

dsc06591vm.jpg

This was my first time attending a match fishing event. And I'm hooked!

Looking forward to the next event in Niagara Falls @ Fireman's Park.

I'm not affiliated with this group, was just invited to join in on the last match. It was my first and I'm positive it won't be my last! Tons of fun and met some really nice people!

:Gonefishing:

Sounds to me like you got a bad case of pole envy.

Hahaha. It was my first match.

We had 30 mins to setup our gear. Took me about 2 mins to tie a hook, squish on a splitshot, and open a can of corn....

The rest of the time was spent starring at all these guys with all this gear!!!!

I used to guide on rice lake and the americans used to come up with their 10 meter poles with 20 feet of 20 pound line a float and hook with worm or maggot , float goes down lift pole swing into boat take off fish rebait and back into the weeds it goes , no reel , at first I thought they were nuts but it works . They allways out fished me with my rod and reel , dont knock it if it works . but not my kind of fishing etch to their own ..

Edited by capt bruce

I used to guide on rice lake and the americans used to come up with their 10 meter poles with 20 feet of 20 pound line a float and hook with worm or maggot , float goes down lift pole swing into boat take off fish rebait and back into the weeds it goes , no reel , at first I thought they were nuts but it works . They allways out fished me with my rod and reel , dont knock it if it works . but not my kind of fishing etch to their own ..

For sure! Its neat and I'm interested to try fishing with a cane pole (just for matches).

You chum a little area, then just place your bait exactly in that spot. As for fishing for fun I'd much prefer casting and retrieving.

The match poles like the one in the pic are great pieces of kit and take a lot of skill to use especially if it's windy, they're perfect for dropping a bait under a tree or right next to rushes. I sold a 14.5m one before I left the UK.

They're not designed to have the line tied directly to the end (they're different and only used for catching small fish quickly), they use elastic through the top two or three sections which acts as a shock absorber and you use different grades of elastic depending on what you're fishing for etc. Set up correctly you can land a 10lb carp on a 4lb hooklength and size 16 hook although you can't rush it! B)

There's also the jigger poles used for bassing down in the US which are a lump of cane with 20lb line tied to the end which capt bruce refers to.

I bought one of these poles this year and absolutely love it. Doesn't work everywhere (need room behind or at least beside you) but in some venues it outfishes any other techniques. It gives you the ability to fish with lighter line, smaller hook, and drop your baited hook exactly where you want it and hopefully where you feed.

Don't try it in a boat though ;-)