Wind and Walleye

pooch

Wind and Walleye

Most years I would be busy during the first week of June swapping out all the pike and walleye gear in my boat and replacing it all with my muskie stuff. Given the great walleye action lately, I might have to rethink that move. With the help of a couple excellent walleye fishermen, I've been having a great spring with ol’ marble eyes and the action doesn't seem to be slowing down. Decisions, decisions, decisions…

We started the day similar to previous days; targeting outside weed lines in about 8-10 feet of water. We were looking for areas with scattered weed and rock. Since the buck tail bite has been fun, and seemed to produce on previous days, we started the day “rippin’ hair”.

The forecast was calling for overcast skies and south west winds at 20-25 km/h. This weather forecast seemed like perfect walleye conditions to us, but the fish at the end of my line just didn’t seem to agree. My fishing partner decided to not be as gracious as previous days; he out fished me five to nothing during the first few hours. After a quick lunch en route to another destination the day started to turn around. One of the moves was to a wind blown island-point, and this seemed to be the best move of the day. Even though the wind died down the fish seemed to be grouped on this point. About ten casts later and three nice walleye caught (even I started catching a few); we decided to stick around this spot to investigate further. We worked this island-point thoroughly and a weed flat on the opposite side of the island to get into a decent numbers day. Over the last couple hours of the day, we boated another 15-20 walleye turning a tough bite day into a pretty good day on the water. What a difference a couple hours makes.

Wally%20June%202%202010-1.JPG

Interesting observation of the day: One of weed lines we worked seemed to produce bites when we fished into the wind, but no bites when we fished with the wind. Whatever the reason behind it (and I can think of many) it’s a good idea to pay attention to details like this and alter your fishing. You’ll probably get a few more bites by the end of the day.

What worked?

Black/black and black/pink buck tail jig

Shimano Cumulus rod 6’10 medium power, extra fast action

Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 6.0:1 gear ratio

20 lb Power Pro braided fishing line

Pattern for the day:

For the walleye; a hair jig, ripped in 8-10 ft of water just outside thick weed lines adjacent to deeper water.

Weather Conditions:

Overcast

South West winds 20-25 km/h in the morning, 10-15 km/h in the afternoon.

Surface water temperatures 70-73 Fahrenheit

Air temperatures reached a high of 26 Celsius

@http://twitter.com/RedsFishin

Edited by redsfishin

Another awesome post with some beauty "walters"!!

Wow, I am new to the board and what a great report. Thanks for that.

I'm interested in a few things:

• Is it a deep lake you are fishing (deepest point on the lake)?

• What is the water clarity like?

The lake I have been fishing for eyes near Ottawa is pretty oligotrophic and 35-40 foot deep flats have been producing as of late.

Thanks again for the report

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Deep is a relative term. I would say this lake is moderate in depth for the Kawartha's. My guess is it averages 10-15 feet with the deepest hole at about 40-50 ft. Water clarity is mixed, some areas it is 5-6 feet and just around the corner 10-12 feet. Sorry that probably doesn't help much. The deepest I've caught a Kawartha walleye this season is 18-20 ft. It's a great fight to get them deep. Good job in Ottawa.

Guest Johnny Bass

Very informative post!!! I've been trying with the bucktails but they just dont seem to work. I switch to the white grub and have better results. But it was too windy to work the weedlines so I will try it again on a calmer day. Thanks for sharing.

One question.....I have 2 bucktails. One large and with a 1/4 ounce head and one shorter with a much smaller head. Which one is better for fishing deep weedlines? I would imagine the heavier one?

Edited by Johnny Bass

I like 3/8 oz in general, and I go to 1/2 oz when it gets tough to feel the bottom (windy, deep...). Keep at it, it's a fun bite when it's going well. be sure to watch your line for a strike. Grubs work too, but when you are in weeds and ripping grubs then you have to mess around with gluing them or always adjusting them. Buck tails aren't as finicky, just rip rip rip and go go go. For sure a grub is a great bait, but I just haven't needed to use them much this spring.

Guest Johnny Bass

I like 3/8 oz in general, and I go to 1/2 oz when it gets tough to feel the bottom (windy, deep...). Keep at it, it's a fun bite when it's going well. be sure to watch your line for a strike. Grubs work too, but when you are in weeds and ripping grubs then you have to mess around with gluing them or always adjusting them. Buck tails aren't as finicky, just rip rip rip and go go go. For sure a grub is a great bait, but I just haven't needed to use them much this spring.

Cool. Will look for heavier ones. Nope wont give up that easily! Every year I pick a new technique and this year is the hair jig.

As everyone has heard by now, I fished like a complete wanker over the past two weekends. And did it using the same techniques as mentioned here and in other spots.

A great report none the less, thanks for it!

Jim

Interesting observation of the day: One of weed lines we worked seemed to produce bites when we fished into the wind, but no bites when we fished with the wind. Whatever the reason behind it (and I can think of many) it’s a good idea to pay attention to details like this and alter your fishing. You’ll probably get a few more bites by the end of the day.

Good eye. try to always fish into the wind, especially when rip jigg'n and fishing targets i.e staying on a weed edge. You have more control and better feel with the bait. To much slack and the fish could of ate and spit the jig without you even knowing. Not to mention tough for optimun boat control to follow the inside/outside turn and/or pockets..

Sometimes I do go with the wind but only when fishing deep clumps and covering vast water (flats) where the presentation is more vertical, and with one or two drift socks to slow ya right down.

Just throwing this out,

Cheers.

Phil

Edited by Harrison