Log road fishing

doack

Wondering if anyone has taken the canoe or light boat, and gone back on the logging roads through out the Chapleau game preserve? Wondering on the experience, any vandal problems with leaving a car for a few days, any suggestions as to what to take, what to avoid, those types of things. Not talking the paved roads like 101 or anything, but heading back on the vast logging roads for a few days of camping and fishing.

Any and all replys welcome!

Ive done this many times with no problems at all. Ive always used a 12 or 14 foot tinny never have I taken a canoe. That area is one of my favorites....its hard to beat! Im familiar with the area, PM me if you have questions about a lake or two..I might know of them...

Good Luck!

TDunn

Wondering if anyone has taken the canoe or light boat, and gone back on the logging roads through out the Chapleau game preserve? Wondering on the experience, any vandal problems with leaving a car for a few days, any suggestions as to what to take, what to avoid, those types of things. Not talking the paved roads like 101 or anything, but heading back on the vast logging roads for a few days of camping and fishing.

Any and all replys welcome!

That sounds like the type of fishing trip that most of us southerners envy. I say go do it. I'd probably bring a sizeable knife and/or axe and/or baseball bat just to be extra cautious.

If you end up going, be sure to post a report! I love seeing the northern fishing trip reports.

Good luck

I used to work at mississanbi for a few years and know the area well, with a canoe you can get into some awesome waters, look on the map for lakes like sharphoof, makonie almost anything in the area around the park will hold walleye and pike. Pm for some special places like little vietnam and little lake

Tyler are any of the roads ditched off by the mnr?

I would assume that at least some of the lakes are off limits because of outfitter camps.

Mike, yes definitely! That is a great point I never even thought of mentioning.

There are so many places up there I have never even been to so I can`t really say where most of these off limit roads are. Where I usually fish I have never ran into this problem but it definitely does exist.

Doack the smartest thing would probably be to find out where you plan to fish before you go. Don`t just wing it. Even if its not an exact lake, just a general area would be good. Im assuming you have a GPS if your planning a trip like this. So I will also assume you have a map program on your GPS and computer. Get some lake names, road names or even coordinates of the lakes. Contact the MNR and ask if there are any lakes off limits due to exclusive lodge rights in the area or areas you plan to fish. While your at it grab yourself a stock sheet for up there. That right there will point you in the right direction if your interested in trout.

If you can`t find any of the lake names let me know where you want to go in general and I will look them up for you and give you all the info you should need when you contact the MNR.

Hope this helps and if you want to know anything else let me know,

TDunn

Oh, I must remind you. Don`t keep your food in the tent!!!

Not trying to hijack your thread but I was up there 2 weeks ago for opener....

Here is a teaser of what you get to look forward too!

Logging roads,

DSC00610.jpg

tents.

DSC00572.jpg

hopefully mornings like this,

DSC00579.jpg

and fish!

DSC00584.jpg

TDunn

Not trying to hijack your thread but I was up there 2 weeks ago for opener....

Here is a teaser of what you get to look forward too!

Logging roads,

DSC00610.jpg

tents.

DSC00572.jpg

hopefully mornings like this,

DSC00579.jpg

and fish!

DSC00584.jpg

TDunn

Fantastic! I actually do have a specific lake in mind. I should probably pick your brain a bit to see if you're familiar with it.

Having fished that area, I wouldn't tent up there unless my trusty Savage rifle came along for the ride.....think Bears and I'm not talking Poo Bear but rather hungry Black Bears.

You're right it's waaay too dangerous. Everyone should stay away! :whistling:

Having fished that area, I wouldn't tent up there unless my trusty Savage rifle came along for the ride.....think Bears and I'm not talking Poo Bear but rather hungry Black Bears.

Been there many times, seen bears, rarely, and never had a problem in camp. Not saying it doesn't happen, but that does not worry me too much, I do like the baseball bat suggestion though, lol.

Been there many times, seen bears, rarely, and never had a problem in camp. Not saying it doesn't happen, but that does not worry me too much, I do like the baseball bat suggestion though, lol.

If no rifle I would opt for Pepper Spray...good on poo bears and intruders.

Good Luck and report back with your catch.

Bob

In fairness to Billy Bob I've seen a ridiculous number of bears in that area the last couple of summers.

Since the spring hunt was cancelled the population has exploded.

Still, it would never disuade me from planning a trip up there.

Heck you're talking to someone who was stalked and chased by 3 polar bears up near Hudsons Bay years ago and I'd go back in a heartbeat. :D

In fairness to Billy Bob I've seen a ridiculous number of bears in that area the last couple of summers.

Since the spring hunt was cancelled the population has exploded.

Still, it would never disuade me from planning a trip up there.

Heck you're talking to someone who was stalked and chased by 3 polar bears up near Hudsons Bay years ago and I'd go back in a heartbeat. :D

Stalked by 3 polar bears :blink: Thats a story I would love to hear, and how the heck did you get away???

Stalked by 3 polar bears :blink: Thats a story I would love to hear, and how the heck did you get away???

It's all a matter on how fast you can run....and you asked "how fast do I have to run from a polar bear" .......answer "just faster than your buddies"....LOL