fishing US waters

Dr. Hook

A friend and I want to go fish buffalo harbour for bass. If we launch on the canadian side do we need passports to fish in american waters? We won't be landing on any american soil.

Also, what safety equipment does NY require?

Make sure both of you carry the US(US$70 this year) and CA fishing license to be prepared to show it when being asked, no need passport. As long as you do not even dock on the other side even just an excuse to pee. They got cameras monitoring the border like a hawk.

The water is not necessarily split in half to separate US and Canadian water boundaries. In CA side it is still illegal to aim for OOS Bass. I would call DEC NY just to familiarized yourselves where the borderline seperates. However, I have not physically seen any officer stopping anyone as of yet, but they are visible out there. Last year, I witness Americans coming to the CA side to fish and vice versa. Not sure if every anglers abide by the rule and carry their required fishing license, not worth getting caught without them!

Bass are only catch and release as of now and no live bait to be use.

If you follow all necessary equipment for Canadian safe boating requirements, you are fine with the US as well.Our CA life jacket standards are higher than some that are being sold in the US.

I heard lots of floating moss at the upper and erie right now.

I would have my passport handy. I have seen them board boats that cross the american side while fishing the st.mary's river with my uncle in the Soo. Best to make sure you have all your ID and paperwork in order before crossing.

It is absolutely not worth aggravating the border folks, our side, or theirs.

They can, and will, do anything required to make you wish you hadn't.

Practice bending over, and touching you toes ;)

Have a license for what you are fishing for, and a valid passport, as well as all safety equipment for the waters you are fishing.

Not speaking from experience of the possible problems, just from never having any.

> New York has become the first state to require life jackets for everyone in all small pleasure craft during the six coldest months of the year, when capsized boaters drown faster in chilly water.

>

>ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- New York has become the first state to require life jackets for everyone in all small pleasure craft during the six coldest months of the year, when capsized boaters drown faster in chilly water.

>

>Starting Nov. 1, kayakers, canoeists and all those aboard motorboats under 21 feet must wear Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices while on lakes, the ocean or other waterways.

>

>The rule remains in effect through May 1. Violators will face fines ranging from $100 to $250.

>

>Similar measures apply to canoes and kayaks in Massachusetts and to all manually propelled vessels, including rowboats, in Connecticut.

>

>Falling into cold water can trigger shock, disorientation or gasping and inhaling water. Immersion can lead to hypothermia and passing out.

Dont forget this to , not needed now but some people havent heard of it

Thanks for the info people, although I am still confused as to whether I actually NEED a passport.. Some say yes and some say no. Does anybody know what the actual law is on this? I know you need it to land on american soil, but we won't be landing.

The problem is I don't have a passport and cannot get one in time for this trip.

I called American customs but the girl sounded like she didn't really know what she was talking about. She just said that US customs does not have boats out there, but the coast guard does.

Does the US coast guard do border patroling work, or are there customs guys on their boats? I tried their website but there was no phone contact #

I have been fishing around the harbour for the last month and I have not been stopped by any of the patrol boats.On any day you will see Coast gaurd,Border patrol, and Sherrif boats. Plus you will also see Sherrif,Coast Gaurd, and Border helicopters and miltary planes.

I asked a couple of Border agents that I happen too run into at the Gander Mnt, store about the passport issue and they told me it wasn't mandatory too have it with you. They did advise to bring it if you happen too break down and have to land on US soil your in for a huge huge hassle.

As for safety equipment as long as you launch on the Canadian side of the lake/river your Canadian safety equip. is fine, if you launch from the US side then you need all the NY state safety equip.

Right now is trophy season you are allowed to keep 1 fish over 20" and live bait is legal.

When are you planning on going?

Hope this helps clear up your questions.

Here's a little teaser of what you could get into

P5160038.jpg

ImportedPhotos00161.jpg

Rob

Edited by Alumacraft