Baitcaster vs Spinning setup.....

cuzza

We all love buying new fishing gear and the more I watch WFN, the more I want to try a baitcasting setup. I have used spinning/fixed spool reels for a long time (most of that in the UK where baitcasting reels are the preserve of sea anglers) and can do pretty much everything I need to at the moment.

So, what are the advantages of a baitcaster over spinning gear? All my fishing is done from the bank (no friends with a boat :() targetting bass and panfish mostly although I'd like to give piking a go at some point and I have fly gear for chasing trout and the like in rivers.

I don't subscribe to the school of buying cheap gear to start out as I believe it's false economy, so I don't want to spend a good chunk of cash to find the experience and results are the same.

Any help or experiences would be appreciated, Thanks, Richard

Edited by cuzza

Bait-casters are all about the heavy line. Line that doesn't sit well or cast well from a spinning reel. For Mono thats anything above 10 lb test. I'll use up to 25Lb braid on a spinning reel. Anything above those lb test I use a bait-caster. Its hard to find a good spinning rod that will handle heavy lines(15-100 lb) and lures(2-6 oz) so if you want to fish in the garbage or toss big baits a bait-caster is almost a requirement.

If your going to use the pole for lighter applications a spinning set up of some kind would suite you better. I would go with a medium action combo. Just keep in mind that baitcasters have come a long way and there are some real sweet light action combo's available that can chuck smaller baits if your interested ??

Cheers !!

Thanks guys - seems like its something I need to look into, I'll head out and try some setups in my hands.

Medium action Shimano Clarus or Compre along with a Shimano Citica would be a great setup to start out with....

That sounds good - I'm a bit of a Shimano fan as it is :)

Edited by cuzza

I learned on casting tackle back in the 50`s, it is nice knowing how to use both and be comfortable with them? Spinning tackle is generally better at casting light weight lures, 1/16 - 1/8th ounce.

A casting reel doesn`t have to be used with heavy line, I have older Shimano`s that have never seen anything but 10# test mono, just reels that I was real comfortable using in open water situations. Learn to flip and pitch.