U40 Cork Seal

CrappieCamo

Give Angling Specialties (Scarborough location) a call. I can't remember if I saw the U40 Rod Bond or Cork Seal in the counter but it's worth a call. U40 products (Let alone rod building products) in general aren't widely available in the GTA. I used to get whatever U40 products (like Rod Bond, Brush cleaner and Permagloss) from Mudhole in the States.

I just use a couple of coats of Birchwood Casey gun stock finish on my handles.

Stock finish can be picked up at most gun shops, including Lebarons.

If you want the U40 product you will have to mail order it most likely.

Here's a couple of shots of my latest handle built on a Sage Z-Axis 7136-4 blank.

P4190001.jpg

P4190004.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Thanks for all the inputs! Lots of anglers recommend U40 Cork Seal on another forum, this makes me wanna try one:)

DRIFTER_016, your rod looks great! Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish, is this the one you use? After sealing the cork, will it feel a little bit slippy and slightly harder? I really like the soft feel of cork in hand.

Spiel, I've never sealled cork before. This might be my first time trying. Read another post here and know you are a rod builder. Could you share some experience of sealing cork?

Thanks for all the inputs! Lots of anglers recommend U40 Cork Seal on another forum, this makes me wanna try one:)

DRIFTER_016, your rod looks great! Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish, is this the one you use? After sealing the cork, will it feel a little bit slippy and slightly harder? I really like the soft feel of cork in hand.

Spiel, I've never sealled cork before. This might be my first time trying. Read another post here and know you are a rod builder. Could you share some experience of sealing cork?

Yep, that's the stuff.

Depending on how many coats you put on you will get a soft satin to a high gloss finish.

That handle has 4 coats and has been sanded down with 600 grit between coats.

With just a couple of coats it still feels like cork but has a bit of protection.

Actually I've never had anyone ask to have their cork handles treated nor have a I done my own.

Using an outdoor weather preservative for wood seems logical though.

Personally I have no use for cork sealer or the concept of sealing cork in general.

Some warm water, mild detergent and a little elbow grease and your handle is as good as new if it gets dirty.

Also I'll occassionally go over my handles with very fine grit sandpaper. If they're sealed you're just removing the finish.

Also don't like the look or the feel of sealed cork, but hey, each to their own. :)