I want Trout... NOT Smallmouth Bass...

Steelcat

Today 25th, I had a day off, but since none of my buddies were off, so I had to go solo. I drove back to Port Hope arrived at 6am. To my surprise no one was there... Since this is the first time I've been to the river this early, maybe it's normal that people showed up after 7am... I parked my car and walked up and down the river. I managed to meet a fly fishing angler. He was concentrated on a pool where I could see several large Bow were there. One actually hit his fly, but he missed the setup. I slowly walked close to him, said "Hi" and asked if the fishing was good. This gentleman was so kind that he actually took his time to teach me where to look for Bows, and where to cast. We walked down the river and he told me to try out a promising location.

Before I even had a chance to setup, a guy on the upstream had a Bow, everyone had to move out of the way for him to fight and land it (that's the code of the river... Whoever has fish has the right of way).

P4257116a.jpg

The night before I bought some Roe bags so I could use today. I got everything ready and started to cast.

Not long after, my float sank, set the hook and the fight went on... It's a Sucker!!! My first ever Sucker...

P4257119a.jpg

Finally I'm not suck that Suckers were hitting my lure~!!

Here's a shot of another Sucker fighting in the river...

P4257120a.jpg

Well I can say this is my person best so far LOL

P4257121a.jpg

Now thing got interesting...

Drift after drift, no bite, then all of a sudden my float sank again... set the hook and this time I could see the body of the fish was wider, not like Sucker which is like a baseball bat... I thought it's a Bow, but the way it fought was so familiar... Finally I managed to reel it closer, it's not silvery color... turned out it's a OOS Smallmouth... The angler across the river and beside me saw what I caught and were totally shocked...

P4257122a.jpg

P4257123a.jpg

Not long after... another OOS Smallmouth... this one even bigger...

P4257127a.jpg

I want Rainbow Trout... NOT Smallmouth....

Well overall I caught 6 Suckers and 2 OOS Smallmouth. I think I missed one Bow because as I set the hook, I could see a silvery shine...

Not bad for my first real try for river Rainbow... I still have ALOT to learn...

Who said no one is willing to share when it comes to river fishing??

I've met many fine anglers who were more than willing to share their technique...

Nice job, best of luck next time. I was throwing spinners around log's and overhanging branches looking for small rainbows...missed a nice brown and had lot's of follows....think i need to downsize some more.

Anyway lol, great report and best of luck next time.

MTBF

Great report....I fished a Trib on Saturday that between two of us we landed at least 10-12 SM Bass with not one being smaller then 3lbs. Its actually kinda funny how you can catch a 4lb SM while Steelie fishing and not care in the least. If I was targeting bass some of the fish we caught would have had me jumping up an down.

Welcome to the float fishing world.