Mounting transducer on stern

scugpg

I'm going to mount the transducer for my sonar on the back of my boat tomorrow and I'm wondering where the optimal spot would be. I'm thinking of placing it to the right of the bunk as it'll be away from the motor and the right keel. Where have you guys placed yours on the back of the boat?

Cheers,

scugog

Edited by scugog

Try to keep your transducer 18" from the centerline of you motor and no matter the shape of the hull, keep it level to the water. About a quarter inch in the water....you shouldn't have any problems.

Am starting similar mounting on an aluminum transom. A google search will reveal quite a few pictures (or the Lowrance site) as to best positioning of transducer with regard to hull profile. One other tip I recieved was ensure mounting board (i.e. starboard) was a 1/4 inch above the bottom where transom meets bottom hull.

Was advised that a 1/2 inch cutting board would work as a mounting board, but got a piece of starboard for the UV resistance and anti solvent properties. Was advised to use a product called Mr. Sticky's Poly Binder as an adhesive, although an email yesterday from the company www.mrstickys.com advised that mechanical fastening above the waterline in addition to the glue on aluminum would be the best method.(glue available Pride Marine in Kingston by mail order from on line catalogue)

Before using the glue, 'burnishing' the starboard with a propane torch is required. There is a description step by step process outline on the mrstickys web site. Not at my work computer right now, for the URL but a video of the process is on Metacafe and Youtube.The glue itself looks like a pretty handy thing to have around as it will work on a number of 'unglueable' plastics - gas tanks etc.

A search for 'working with King starboard' will provide details on how to bend starboard if the bottom of your transom has a slight curvature to it. (heat gun on sale Can Tire this week - $10) The Poly Binder will hold its thickness if you want to fill the space with the glue.

Hope to get at my own mounting project within the next couple of weeks, will see how it goes.