onboard charger

dada2727

I've had a few different opinions on this, and was curious to hear a few more before I made my choice. I have a 12 volt trolling motor and 2 deep cycle batteries, because 1 usually doesn't last the whole day. I would like to hook the two batteries up in parallel esentially making one big battery because I am sick of changing them over on the lake, so will a 2 bank charger work if one bank is on each battery, or is that like charging one battery with 2 banks because they are in parallel?

Will this work or how do I get around this? I was thinking about just using one bank on both but that would probably take a long time to charge them both, sometimes not being ready to go for the next morning I'm guessing.

thx

You could rig a switch into the wires that connect the batteries in parallel. Flick the switch to the off position when you are charging; the batteries would not be connected to each other with the switch in the off position, so using both banks should be okay.

I am not sure what would happen if you forgot to switch the connection off and left the batteries connected in parallel while they were both connected to the charge.

how long do you think it would take a 10amp charger to charge both batteries from dead if they were hooked up in parallel?

They would draw 5amps ea.Your batteries would seldom be much under 50% charge so if they are m-27's (120amp)@ 50% discharge it would take 12hrs to full charge.