Between the Dams...

The JAY

Well, Vinnimon came through for me today, and I got got my first baitcast. Devided to try it out on the Grand, downstream a bit from Caledonia. Found a nice little pool and hookked on a nice fat nightcrawler in hopes of finding a kitty or two... After birdnesting the baitcaster 3 times, I decided to wait until I did some reading and switched to the spinning rig. No nibbles, but I saw a ton of fish surfacing. Saw a muskrat too... Oh well, it's a better way to spend the evening than watching the tube, right? Maybe I'll have some better luck on Monday, if the river slows down a bit. It's still flowing really fast.

agreed they likely were suckers if you were fishing down from the dam in Caledonia. Whats on Monday?? Im off work on Monday and might be interested in a trip to Dunnville for catfish. Let me know I have a boat and might be looking for a fishing partner.

Well, suckers are most likely what was surfacing, after seeing their dorsal fins. Monday, I'm going back down to the river and teaching myself how to use a baitcast... Seems today is going to be devoted to Geocaching again with the wife and at least one daughter... I'll have to try to keep the truck outta the mudholes this week...wallbash.gif

agreed they likely were suckers if you were fishing down from the dam in Caledonia. Whats on Monday?? Im off work on Monday and might be interested in a trip to Dunnville for catfish. Let me know I have a boat and might be looking for a fishing partner.

Well, suckers are most likely what was surfacing, after seeing their dorsal fins. Monday, I'm going back down to the river and teaching myself how to use a baitcast... Seems today is going to be devoted to Geocaching again with the wife and at least one daughter... I'll have to try to keep the truck outta the mudholes this week...wallbash.gif

Jay come by and ill show you.I have 2 ponds that you can use for practice.One has a log jam.Its easier for me to show rather than explain.

As for the birds nests,that line is a little thin.I figured youd get fustrated.

not sure anyone could cast a nightcrawler with a couple of splitshot with a baitcaster so don't give up. Baitcasting takes a bit of practice so do yourself a favor and tie on something with some weight that flies like an arrow. For lobbing a worm out there a baitcaster (notice the irony) wouldn't be my choice.

LOL! I never thought about the irony, but you're right Rizzo. Rob, I was wondering about that, is there more to 'cut bait' than just butchering a sucker, or is there some secret herbs and spices.... Anyway, I went down to the river again tonight. Seems to be dropping abit, but still fast. 3 decent sized suckers. Better than an evening in front of the tube...whistling.gif