Dunnville Cats

justin elia

I had the opportunity to get out and fish with Aaron Shirley for Grand River cats last Friday.;Its definately a different style of fishing from what I'm used to; however, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got the opportunity to sit and catch up with a good buddy who I hadn't fished with in a while. In between all the chatter, we'd be interupted by a "pick-up" from a cat from time to time. Here are a few from the day:

First one of the day

GrandCats_2010_04_01.jpg

Its all smiles here

GrandCats_2010_04_02.jpg

Second one of the morning was a litte guy, but a fighter

GrandCats_2010_04_05.jpg

This one was hooked mid day, just before we packed it in

GrandCats_2010_04_09.jpg

GrandCats_2010_04_08.jpg

Around mid-morning, Aaron and I decided to head down river to check out some new spots. As we weave around the numerous boats, Aaron decides to take the shallow side of this one particular boat;Im thinking to myself, "I hope he knows what he's doing", next thing you know we're running a 30 foot rooster tail of mud and we beach the boat on a mud flat. There is mud everywhere, on the engine, on the boat and on both of us. We take out the paddles and try shoving ourselves off, but its not happening. Luckily there was a boat near by and they decided to lend a hand. After numerous attempts of trying to pull our boat off the flat with the other boat, it still wasn't happening. So I look over at Aaron and Im thinking to myself, "this guy's going to ask me to get in and push..... Damn!" Aaron looks back and says, "Alright, we have to get out and push". So what am I going to do, say no to a good buddy, hell no. We strip down and proceed to jump into 50 degree water and eventually work the boat out. Needless to say, it wasn't the highlight of the day.

Me giving Aaron the thumbs down award for the bonehead move of the day

GrandCats_2010_04_06.jpg

It was a great day to get out on the water; big cats and sunburns.

Nice Catfish, and looks like you had to take one for the team, I guess that is the benefit of inviting your buddies fishing you can get them to do the dirty work! 50 degree water must have been freezing!

It was cold; luckily we were only in from the thigh down. Aaron slipped into a mud hole and went about waste deep.

Yeah, it was a nice day to be out fishing.. And swimming LOL. Yep, it was a brisk swim, but not as bad as we thought. Figured I would try water I haven't been to before away from the heavy boat traffic. Found out in a hurry that it is really shallow a way out from shore to the right near the mouth! Fortunately not even a scratch on the boat or motor, it was all muck. Got off real lucky with a big reminder to be careful boating in new territory. Thanks to the guys that helped tow us out.

I couldn't believe the amount of bites we had only to have the fish drop the bait before we could set the hook. Definitely going to try circle hooks next time.

Good thing it was warm out, we dried off and got back to fishing quickly. Nothing real big, but a nice day to be out with some nice cats. Biggest cat of the day was the only one I boated at about 12lbs.

Good to fish with you again Justin.

Aaron

It was cold; luckily we were only in from the thigh down. Aaron slipped into a mud hole and went about waste deep.

Yep, only thing hurt was my pride. And oh yeah, after finding that hole I couldn't find my package for over an hour.. It went into hiding! LOL

Great report guys, those cats are fun when you get on them and that 50' water temp must have been refreshing. Good on ya Justin for jumping in and helping out, I just would have thrown Shirley overboard and made him push... LOL!!!

Andrew.

Edited by FUSION

And oh yeah, after finding that hole I couldn't find my package for over an hour.. It went into hiding! LOL

It is called "my friend pulled a turtle" LOL I put my dock in last weekend, water temp 48.6°. I'm still waiting for my friend to stick his head out LOL!