Fishing on Monday, help!!!

The JAY

Okay, I just found the site, and this is great!!! Decided to make my first post just before my first fishing trip of the year. I'm heading out Monday to wet some line, but I don't usually go this early in the year. Can anyone give me some places in the Hamilton area that may bring me a little luck? I know there are a lot of fishermen in the Hamilton/Stoney Creek area, and hopefully one or two will divulge a honey hole... Scouted the Grand today between Caledonia and Cayuga and found some guys catching suckers, but there's always Pier 4 too... Thanks!

Sorry, folks, I should probably introduce myself properly. I've been fishing for over 35 years and tried everything from stream fishing in Carlisle to a trawler in the North Sea. I do mainly bank fishing here in the Hamilton area, but usually not until the summer months. I also do a fly-in trip with 'the boys' for pike once a year. I've dropped a couple of hobbies, so now I'll have some more time to fish, and I just got so eager to get out there, I forgot proper etiquette. My apologies. I look forward to being an active member in the forum.

Any luck in carlisle Jay?I pass through there every monday.We used to get a fair bit of crappy at the bridge.

Well, that's where my dad taught me stream fishing... Back in '74 or 75... Got some small trout if I recall... But haven't been up there in years. Wonder if Breezy Corners is still open.. And it was handy as there was a bait shop right on #6 on the way up....

Well, that's where my dad taught me stream fishing... Back in '74 or 75... Got some small trout if I recall... But haven't been up there in years. Wonder if Breezy Corners is still open.. And it was handy as there was a bait shop right on #6 on the way up....

Ahhh! Tonys bait,its still there bt im not sure if the old lady is still around.I havent seen it open in 2 years.It reminds me of the Stars that owned Caledonia B & T before steve bought it.Ahhhh! the good old days.

Okay, I just found the site, and this is great!!! Decided to make my first post just before my first fishing trip of the year. I'm heading out Monday to wet some line, but I don't usually go this early in the year. Can anyone give me some places in the Hamilton area that may bring me a little luck? I know there are a lot of fishermen in the Hamilton/Stoney Creek area, and hopefully one or two will divulge a honey hole... Scouted the Grand today between Caledonia and Cayuga and found some guys catching suckers, but there's always Pier 4 too... Thanks!

I am not sure what kind of fish you want to catch but if you are into carp fishing you can always try the fish barrier (desjardanis park i think its called).

If you dont mind driving down to dunnville there is some decent catfish fishery, right in front of Fishmasters bait shop.

Suckers are in there fairly thick as well.

Well, thanks to all for the input. I think I'm going to try my hand on the Grand in the morning. I'm going to wait until I've got another heavier rod to try for the kitties in Dunnville. (Had a pike borrow my rod while canoe fishing last year wallbash.gif ) With a little luck I'll have something to show for it in 24 hours...

IM new here myself and u probly already know this since u mentioned the grand but just in case, in summer i love going to the section of the grand closest to hamilton (dont think the exact stretch of river matters, anywhere u can access really) and fishing for river smallies. U hav a bit of time to kill till then but its an amazing river for big bass. It also has great musky fishing although i cant personally say i ve caught one. Good thing about it is u dont need a boat or anything, just wear some shorts and wade, its warm. Really fun to fish that way too.