Muskegon Steelhead With My Dad

solopaddler

Awsome looking trip bud! Sorry to here you got screwed around by the guide though.

I'm guessing you know exactly who I was referring too.

What I didn't mention in the report....the greasy little weasle was trying to smooth things over at the ramp at the end of the day.

Not impressed with him in the slightest. :)

I'm guessing you know exactly who I was referring too.

What I didn't mention in the report....the greasy little weasle was trying to smooth things over at the ramp at the end of the day.

Not impressed with him in the slightest. :)

realistically its his loss bud. I don't understand sometimes how people can run bussisness the way they do and stay afloat.

It looks as though the gentleman you fished with the first day was a great contact to have made.

Edited by FUSION

Great report Mike. Always glad to see the pictures you and others take of there adventures.

By any chance did you just let your old man give it a go with just a spinning reel? I ask because my dad has a buggered up hand from umping baseball. He got spiked on a slide at home plate and it has never been the same and the cold really bothers it.When we go perch fishing in the fall he has the gloves on all weekend. He can manage with one of my old reels with a BIG BLOCKY knob. It isn't pretty...but he comes back for more every fall so I know he is enjoying himself. Maybe a 1300 Whisker would be the ticket for your dad when you get him out for chrome again.

Great report Mike. Always glad to see the pictures you and others take of there adventures.

By any chance did you just let your old man give it a go with just a spinning reel? I ask because my dad has a buggered up hand from umping baseball. He got spiked on a slide at home plate and it has never been the same and the cold really bothers it.When we go perch fishing in the fall he has the gloves on all weekend. He can manage with one of my old reels with a BIG BLOCKY knob. It isn't pretty...but he comes back for more every fall so I know he is enjoying himself. Maybe a 1300 Whisker would be the ticket for your dad when you get him out for chrome again.

Absolutely I would never subject my dad to a centrepin.

I had him rigged with an 111/2' rod and a Stradic MGFB 2500.

I had him rigged with an 111/2' rod and a Stradic MGFB 2500.

But Mike, everyone knows you need a 13' rod to catch steel :P

My dad can't work the pin either...2000 Daiwa Emblem Z for him

Edited by MJL

I was just trying to imagine my old man with a pin...kinda made me throw up in my mouth a little bit :(

Well I wouldn't go quite that far LOL!

He definitely would have been even more frustrated that's for sure though..

But Mike, everyone knows you need a 13' rod to catch steel :P

My dad can't work the pin either...2000 Daiwa Emblem Z for him

Mike I think it's a generational thing. Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Far better off not even trying..

My only regret on this trip was not letting my dad pull a plug or two through some of the holes.

They were hitting so well on roe (I hit 40 plus fish) that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

It definitely would have been his best shot..

That certainly was a worthwhile trip for you and your dad, Mike. I'm sure that it was also worthwhile for the "substitute" guide and your new friend on the river. As for the Friday guide, when all is said and done and the final tally sheet is drawn up, the only thing any of us really have of any value is our word. That's what makes some people rich and others worthless.

Thanks for sharing another epic with us.