Buying a new boat

Banger68

Guest nuker

i picked up a barely used 2004 princecraft super pro 186 with a 150 optimax (with under 50 hours on it!)for $23K last fall and i find it a great boat for fishing and recreation. lots of room, windshield is a must. the ride feels solid. this is my first boat. the wife loves it.. when i'm not out fishing with it...

i checked out the other boats when i considered new. i couldn't afford the princecraft new, that's for sure. and that's what i would have gone for.

it's a pretty heavy rig i guess. i'm pulling it with a pick up and i'm not so sure i would feel good pulling/stopping that with a dodge caravan... but i've seen people tow bigger with their vans so...

Edited by nuker

I agree with the previous poster - look hard in the states. You can potentially saves thousands and thousands of dollars.

If you are intent on staying in Canada, give Hastings Marine a try - they had some really good deals on some new, non-current Sylvan boats in th 16-18 foot range.

Look into Alumacraft or Lunds. They're solid aluminum boats, you get what you pay for. Bay City Marine in Hamilton has always provided me and friends with the best prices and good service on those brands, They also sell Sylvan boats (I think).

I would'nt buy a Legend if you paid me.. Sorry Legend boat guys, I'm sure there's a few good Legend boats, but I've just heard way to many horror stories.

I agree with Graham 100%.When it comes to aluminum boats if it doesn't say Allumacraft or Lund on the side I've seen enough,they are the 2 best built bar non and for me anyway quality is 1st priority.if it's not really well made the rest doesn't matter.

Well as a, THE top of the line, Lund owner... I'm gonna state that the lads at the Princecraft facility can rivet a boat together just as good as their cousins at the Lund factory and there's not a big difference in the hull designs. Interior finish yes.. but what matters.. NO. Grumman made some good aluminum boats as well. Had a 20 year old one in the shop last spring for a few loose rivets and a small crack. Not a big deal after pounding Lake O all it's life. C(t)rackers... don't get me going there.. lol. Just ask Walleyemen how that's going for him with a pretty much new boat...

Thanks everybody for your opinions/comments. I decided on the Sylvan Expedition Sport 1800DC. Admittedly there are other boats out there that are better fishing boats but the Sylvan seemed to offer the best balance between fishing and sport/cruise.

I'll put up a couple pictures when I pick it up.

Two of my buddies just sold there Smokercrafts because of rivet problems. The dealer would repair them and they would start leaking somewhere else. They are only going on three years old. Sylvan are made by Smokercraft so your call there. I had issues with Princecraft 20 yrs ago honouring there warranty but there boats are much better now. My brother has a Pro 166 I think it is and he really likes it. Tracker are junk as far as my buddies say who have owned them. I would seriously look at Lund if I were buying a new aluminum. They must make a fish/ski model. Expect to dig deeper in your pockets though if you want a Lund. Tough decision.

When buying your first boat i would suggest something used, there are alot of good deals out there u just have to do your homework, the economy is not the greatest and people will always get rid of there boat first. Not only that, as much as u think u might no boats whenfinally get yours there are so many expenses and things that go wrong that there is nothing wrong with experience before u get that baby u want

This is not my 1st boat. It's my 1st new boat.

I did some looking around for used but I didn't find what I was looking for or the price difference between the used and new didn't make it worthwhile. I admit that I didn't beat the bushes real hard though.

Edited by Banger68