Frenchmans Bay..

fish-miester

Hey guys and Gals ,

was hoping to go down to Frenchmans Bay with a good friend who loves fishin but he never has any time to do so.. and was hopin to launch my boat (14' tinny).. and was wondering how many people fish it ? and or where they launch there boat.. I know there is a marina on the East side of the bay as well as a sand launch / beach there on the south side..

have any of you used the sand beach ? if so how was it.. or do you use the Marina.. and if so whats the fee/parking like ?

thanks a ton guys

A fellow angler

Edited by fish-meister

Ya... dont use the marina. There is a beach on the opposite side of the pond that you can launch from free of charge. The beach is more then adequate for launching a tinny of your size. Be careful going out on the Big O in a 14footer. The water out there can whip up really fast and unexpectantly. It can be as calm as can be in the moring, but the rollers can grow in size quite fast! Be aware of your surroundings and keep your eye on any possible change in conditions. You would not be the first to get caught off gaurd out there.

Ab

I've seen a few cars (2 wheel drive) spin tires & sink in the sand trying to pull up boats off the beach at Frenchman's Bay.

Used to go there with a Jeep CJ back in the late 80's and never had a problem. Had huge tires and the low gear 4 x 4 pulled the boat out like a tractor.

Pulled out a couple of guys who were stuck in a matter of seconds.

I really miss that vehicle. My first 4 x 4. Wish I still had it.

I was out there many times with a 14 footer, but always careful.

Heard of more than one small boat getting swamped and sinking in rough water.

Just keep an eye on the wind speed. If the wind is calm or light from the west, you'll be fine.

Even a light breeze from the north is OK.

Good luck !!!

Sorry guys this may be a dumb question as I am not familiar with that area, but is Frenchmans Bay the sheltered bay on the north side of the large sandbar or is it actually part of Lake O. That bay doesn't look like it would get too rough judging by google maps. I have a 14ft boat and was looking for a new place to try out as well.

Is Frenchmans Bay the sheltered bay on the north side of the large sandbar or is it actually part of Lake O. That bay doesn't look like it would get too rough judging by google maps. I have a 14ft boat and was looking for a new place to try out as well.

It might be considered part of Lake Ontario.

Doesn't get too rough but is shallow and pretty weedy.

Have fished there over many years and caught mostly pike. Have caught unexpected fish like crappie, chinooks, bass and a walleye. Mostly there is pike but is an easy launch.

Are there any spots in the bay to avoid? ie: underwater hazards? What is the general depth of the bay? Thanks.

Dirk

the bay is pretty straight forward.. no real hazzards.. unless you go up shallow then there is logs and such..

but the bay is abput 12' deep in the deepest part.. other then that she is pretty shallow..

as for it being "sheltered" yes and no... it all depends on what way the wind is blowing.

i wouldn't recommend launching without a 4X4... i learned that the hard way today... not fun. lol. AND i didn't catch anything.

haha that sucks !

I launched my boat just fine.. pulled the car away (04sante fe').. parked it.. fished for a few hours.. plenty of hits and follows but no one was really committing. faught two for a minute or two each then spit the hook.(i was using barbless :| )..also saw a TON of carp.. then went to get the car.. back it down.. loaded the boat perfect.. then went to pull forward.. and she started to sink in the sand!. so i got out found some dry sticks and other stuff.. threw it under the front tires and slowly pulled out..