Soft Plastics Storage - Bags or Storage/Utility containers?

MSBruno

Soft Plastics - Bags or Storage/Utility containers?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How do you store your soft plastics?

• Original/Zip Lock bags
    • Storage/Utility containers
    • Other? leave comment

What's everyone's take on storing soft plastics? I've been a baggie guy for a long time, but as my soft plastic arsenal increases the storage of many bags is getting cumbersome.

Soft plastics in question are worms, tubes, craws, rodents, etc (not gulp alive)

I've always been in the frame of mind that to keep them as soft as possible and keep their "scent" I'd rather open a single bag/colour with zip-lock seal allowing air to enter that single bag/colour (minimizing air contact) instead of opening up a plano box (or similar) allowing air in the whole container holding all the soft plastics.

Thoughts?

all original packs. unless for some reason that bag becomes no longer usable. i might try putting them in trays this year, or into a binder with the bags inside to hopefully hold more stock at one time, and at the same time take up less space in my bag, and be a bit more organized

For about five bucks I bought an assortment of sizes in recloseable (zip lock style) bags in the craft section of the dollar store. I keep the bulk of my plastics at home in the original bags, double bagging into a larger ziplock if necessary. I carry a small amount of each in the dollar store bags with me. This lets me maximize my on hand inventory without needing several satchels to carry them. If I find I'm using a lot of one particular style, I just upsize the bag for it or carry that one's original. I've got 5 year old originals that are still the same as the day I bought them.

Works well for me!

Michael

I usually leave them in the bags they come in unless they get torn or punctured. My favorite tubes and sluggos etc I buy by the hunred count so They have to be broken down. In that case I use the zip lock freezer bags, they seem to be made of thicker plastic. The Shimano sachels that come with the bags in them are junk they don't seem to be compatable with the scented plastics so I just use them for terminal tackle and spinnerbaits now.

I use both storage boxes and packages.

I have now moved toward just keeping them in the original bags within a large Ziploc freezer bag like most.

I just didn't like the idea of constantly exposing hundreds of dollars of plastics to the sun and air while fishing. Although, I haven't really seen any issues yet, I cannot imagine it being good.

Edited by adempsey

I put all my soft plastics in plano type trays. Have not noticed ANY change in the softness. The only ones I don't do that for are gulp type baits and/or baits that I need in excess of 40-50 of at a time, those go in a big ziploc.

In terms of organization and experimenting, it is a huge time saver as you can often put 12-16 different bait colours/styles in a tray. The trays can be labelled and stacked inside of a storage locker which is very helpful.