crestliner fish hawk 1600 or 1650 with 50 hp merc 2 stroke?

landry

I am thinking about buying a 1600 fish hawk with 50 merc on it. I am concerned about the power needed for this boat. Does anyone own or fish from one of these with the 50 hp on it? Do they plane well and what speeds will they hit? Do people like the 50 merc 2 strokes (newer models)? I have an older 1650 with a 70 hp 4 stroke and it runs really well but I am thinking of buying a brand new one with the 50!?! Thanks a ton!

Landry

What's the max HP rating for the boat?

I have a 1600 Angler (2004) rated for 75hp with an 84" beam and a hull weight of 860 lbs. I have a 70hp 2 stroke on the back and that works fine but certainly isn't crazy fast, maybe 37 or 38 mph fully trimmed on smooth water. I don't know how the boat would perform with only a 50, you want to get as close to the max as possible.

I had a sportfish 1650 with a 115 efi fourstroke that worked well! It planed out perfectly tones of bowlift and a nice dry ride! The boat with two guys loaded with gear would do 47mph with a regular aluminum prop! I now have a fishhawk 1850 with a 150 optimax and have a problem with it! The problem is when I'm on plane I can't get any bow lift. As soon as I tried to trim out the prop would blow out of the water! So the dealer tried lowering the engine and it was better but not even close the where it should be! Over the summer I tried differant props and engine hieghts and was never able to get it to run properly. I should also mention that I get wet from the spray every time out! I put a straight edge on the bottom of the hull and lets just say it wasn't straight! The boat has been sent back to the factory so they can figure out the problem!

This is a pic of the boat trimmed out at WOT

boat.jpg

A tip for anyone buying a welded boat! Bring a 3-4foot straight edge with you and make sure the hull is straight before you buy!

Edited by getnjiggywithit

Thanks guys. Very helpful! The 50 sounds like it will do okay.

My wife thinks I am insane cause I have a 2003 with a 70 hp 4 stroke that runs perfect!

I am just debating buying a new boat and whether or not that is smart or just extravagant seeing as mine is running well.

I can't lose either way I guess.

Landry

I had a sportfish 1650 with a 115 efi fourstroke that worked well! It planed out perfectly tones of bowlift and a nice dry ride! The boat with two guys loaded with gear would do 47mph with a regular aluminum prop! I now have a fishhawk 1850 with a 150 optimax and have a problem with it! The problem is when I'm on plane I can't get any bow lift. As soon as I tried to trim out the prop would blow out of the water! So the dealer tried lowering the engine and it was better but not even close the where it should be! Over the summer I tried differant props and engine hieghts and was never able to get it to run properly. I should also mention that I get wet from the spray every time out! I put a straight edge on the bottom of the hull and lets just say it wasn't straight! The boat has been sent back to the factory so they can figure out the problem!

This is a pic of the boat trimmed out at WOT

A tip for anyone buying a welded boat! Bring a 3-4foot straight edge with you and make sure the hull is straight before you buy!

Who is your dealer? If it isn't Proctor it should be (and, no I don't care where you live :D ).

Good luck, I am sure that Crestliner will put it right!

Jim

I have a 1600 fish hawk with the 60 4 stroke. I think the best that I can do with me and my gear is about 34 on the GPS. So 30 on a fifty sounds about right. I have to ask, to what do you think you are upgrading?

Jim

I am fully aware that I would not be upgrading - what I would be getting is new but louder, slightly slower engine and an equivalent boat. I am just thinking the boat would be trouble free for many years (hopefully) with no surprises - which isn't guaranteed but I would think more likely than with a 2003. And yes my 2003 runs perfectly.

I should probably just leave it be and enjoy what I have. Maybe I need professional help!!!

Landry

That would be crazy. The max rating on the 1650 Sportangler is 90, which is what I went for. Even then, the back end is a little too heavy.

A 150 on a 1650 SportAngler?

Do ya think you may be a bit overpowered?...or worse, to heavy at the back end?

That boat can't be rated for anymore than a 115 I would think.

That's interesting. I was told by the dealer that the Block is the same on the 75 and 90, but not the 115hp.

What I find interesting, is even though the blocks may be the same, the size of the motors aren't. I bought my boat new in 2006, but it was a new 2005 model. There was one identical with a 75hp on it, sitting right beside mine and it certainly looked smaller. I couldn't imagine what the 115 would look like!

Here's a question...Just because the block is the same, does that mean that the weight of the entire motor is the same? (sans sarcasm, serious question :) )

Back in 2005 the boat was rated for 115hp! In 2006 the rateing changed to 90HP! 75,90,115 All weigh around the same as they use the same block!