Trucks through the ice on Temagami

irishfield

That one was shallow and close to shore.. but I bet 20 hours.. 10 guys.. equipment... I'd guess 25 grand or so. Bartlets use to list the salvage costs on their website..

holy crap.. thats the reason i put the sled away early and walk out this time of year.

25 g's ... i couldnt imagine

Hmm....March 17th in one of the warmest winters we've had in years....better take the truck out to hunt some fish.

Hope they were tasty.

Who says they were fishing?

Not sure if this has been asked before but I’m wondering what the environmental people have to say about these vehicles or any piece of motorized equipment, going through the ice?

Battery acid, gasoline, motor oil, anti freeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, windshield washer; gear oil; not to mention the brake dust and the grime form years of driving.

I never hear a whole lot of talk as to how this gets cleaned up, or is there a blind eye turned?

Myself here at the shop (automotive repair) have to have signed contracts with recyclers to haul away my waist oils and anti freeze. Plus I must keep a monthly record of the floor drain’s oil separators, as to cleanliness and with who the contrast is with that cleans them.

Man if we were to be caught allowing even a cup of anti freeze to hit the drains there’d be hell to pay.

But like I asked we don’t hear anything about (for example) the 50-60 plus year old bombardier snow machines sitting on the bottom? Other then we’re(hopefully)grateful that no one was hurt and the cost of getting them back to the surface?

There’s nothing environmentally friendly about those PCB oozing, smoke blenching things; everything is vented to the atmosphere or the water in this scenario?

Dan.

Not sure if this has been asked before but I’m wondering what the environmental people have to say about these vehicles or any piece of motorized equipment, going through the ice?

Battery acid, gasoline, motor oil, anti freeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, windshield washer; gear oil; not to mention the brake dust and the grime form years of driving.

I never hear a whole lot of talk as to how this gets cleaned up, or is there a blind eye turned?

Myself here at the shop (automotive repair) have to have signed contracts with recyclers to haul away my waist oils and anti freeze. Plus I must keep a monthly record of the floor drain’s oil separators, as to cleanliness and with who the contrast is with that cleans them.

Man if we were to be caught allowing even a cup of anti freeze to hit the drains there’d be hell to pay.

But like I asked we don’t hear anything about (for example) the 50-60 plus year old bombardier snow machines sitting on the bottom? Other then we’re(hopefully)grateful that no one was hurt and the cost of getting them back to the surface?

There’s nothing environmentally friendly about those PCB oozing, smoke blenching things; everything is vented to the atmosphere or the water in this scenario?

Dan.

The truck going through the ice is a ACCIDENT.....just like when two vehicles hit head on and all their fluids you described are spilled on the ground including anti-freeze, oil, gasoline, etc......

We drive on L. Simcoe every winter and have been ever since I can remember, but when it starts to warm up, the trucks stays on shore.

Running water finds its way through cracks in the ice and erodes the ice very quickly. I've see a 10 inch drilled hole (late season) double in size from running water in just a few hours, not to mention thinning the ice around the hole as well.

Call me a wimp if you must, but I'm a live wimp.

Actually.. it does. The ford was pulled out onto boards and driven away. The Dodge was pulled up the next day by Bartlets towing with their retrieval rack. Still a lot of ice there to hold the rack and truck..

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/News/newsbriefs-101.htm#ma19

there must be a special rider for insurance policy i no with aviva scottish anf york i had to sign a waiver for truck and atv that it is not covered or they wouldnt insure me

Who says they were fishing?

Either way....substitute where I said "hunt some fish" with "go for a drive".

There is no set time of the year that is "safe" to venture on the ice until. You need to determine that yourself. obviously this is not a very good year weather-wise so maybe the trucks and sleds need to stay off the ice, or be much more cautious...

I'm just taking a guess... sometimes they go into triple that from what I saw on their website.

Ice road is usually open for a couple more weeks or better up there. Ice out is usually first week of May.

Regardless thats a pretty penny! I wonder what the profit margin is like for a business like that!?