• MH - Xfast
    • MH - Fast
    • M - XFast
    • M - Fast
    • ML - XFast
    • ML - Fast
    • Other

Hi All,

I'm just curious to what folks use as their Jigging setup for Walleye. I've been toying of the idea of using a baitcasting setup this year for jigging, not sure if it'd give me more sensitivity/control or not. But I'm interested to see what everyone uses for their typical walleye jigging setup.

Edited by scugog

In previous years I've always owned 6'6" Medium Fasts so thats what I've used for vert jigging. This year I'm really trying to fine tune my Walleye gear and the unanimous (spelling?) agreement from most reputable Walleye Anglers is a 6'0" to 6'3" medium fast or extra fast for vert jigging under normal circumstances.

The reason for such a short, fast rod seems to be for quick, STIFF hooksets with a tight line. A longer rod also gives you little control over your jig and less sensitivity (more rod for the bumps to have to move through).

That being said I don't kno wif I wanna shell the money for a 6'3" Croix Legend Elite Med, X-Fast or a Loomis 6'1" Medium Fast GLX Walleye Series... :huh:

Edited by archie_james_c

Thank you for the responses.

How do you guys find the xfast action compared to fast action for jigging. I'm wondering what the benefits would be of each?

Extra fast action means the rod isn't going to bend as smoothly through-out the entire length of the rod (Arch shape). It will bend only towards the tip which translates to a very stiff, sensitive rod that you can feel the most subtle bumps through. It also means when you go to set the hook, more of your power is going to go down to the hook instead of being absorbed from the rod.

Extra fast action means the rod isn't going to bend as smoothly through-out the entire length of the rod (Arch shape). It will bend only towards the tip which translates to a very stiff, sensitive rod that you can feel the most subtle bumps through. It also means when you go to set the hook, more of your power is going to go down to the hook instead of being absorbed from the rod.

Thanks for letting me know. I went with a fast action over the xfast, so I was wondering if I made the right decision.

6'6 Medium Light - Fast action here for now.

Overwhelmingly it seems the preferred setup is a.....

Spinning Reel with a Medium strength rod, fast action.

I honestly thought it'd be a 6'3 B)

Thanks for the responses everyone!