Rod question

JEREMY

Just a quick question.I am looking at buying a new rod for live bait fishing the grand.I was thinking something in the 8.5 foot range.The rods i have been looking at are the Browning six rivers 8.5 medium action or the Fenwick HMX.Any input would be much appreciated.

Sorry guys i guess i should have more informative.I will be using it for bass,walleye and smaller pike and it will be used for still fishing.I have a seven footer now i am just thinking that with the more lenght i will get a better hookset and better casting distance.And yes it will be from shore.

Edited by JEREMY

Sorry guys i guess i should have more informative.I will be using it for bass,walleye and smaller pike and it will be used for still fishing.I have a seven footer now i am just thinking that with the more lenght i will get a better hookset and better casting distance.And yes it will be from shore.

Having owned both the Browning and the Fenwick, I can say that I've never had a problem with either. Eight and a half - nine feet should be long enough to give you a better cast and hook set.

Just a quick question.I am looking at buying a new rod for live bait fishing the grand.I was thinking something in the 8.5 foot range.The rods i have been looking at are the Browning six rivers 8.5 medium action or the Fenwick HMX.Any input would be much appreciated.

I'd give some thought to maybe going to something in the 10 1/2 foot class. My "go to" rod for that location fishing live bait is an old Loomis lower modulus graphite 10 1/2 foot 8 wt. fly rod blank built up as a spinning rod. It is a relatively slow action that I prefer for casting softer baits, I just hate it when the bait and the line land in 2 different places, and the longer length is nice as usually in the faster runs I find it better to drift the bait under a float like steelheading, the length makes the handling of a float and longer leader easier. Just make sure it is one of the slower action rods for bait fishing, there are some faster action ten and half rods more designed for West Coast Steelheading, they are great for pitching heavy Cleos and hardware off a pier but not the lighter cast for live bait.