Northumberland today Article on Rice lake issue

I think the Rice Lake Tourist Assoc. is just plain greedy...The rest of the zones (with the exception of zone 18 (300) and a couple of other zones in Ontario (100) have much smaller limits for sunfish/bluegills (50) and we don't hear their assocs. complaining...but then, they have had their limits for some time now...

Edited by Beans

Does anyone have any fact or opinion on how the 7" limit will be enforced? Do all fish need the head on for proof? I've made a few inquiries but haven't heard back from any.

All I could find in the regulations is:

Size Limits - All size limits refer to total length which is a measure from the tip of the mouth with the jaws closed to the tip of the tail, with the tail fin lobes compressed to give the maximum possible length....(page 8)

From the above it is pretty clear to me that the head must be on the fish... :lol:

Thanks Beans. This topic is very confusing to me. Anyway the MNR responded to me about this and they won't check the length after you clean them is what I get from this. So for my buddy anyway the fish can be cleaned before coming back which is a big plus. Maybe he'll still go.

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The rules for transporting fish are the same this year as it has been in the past. Page 9 of the Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary states;

"Anglers need to ensure they are transporting fish in compliance with the regulations, which are designed to protect fisheries resources. The fish that you catch and keep may be cleaned. However, please remember that fish taken from waterbodies where size limits are in effect must be readily measurable at all times, unless the fish are:

• Being prepared for immediate consumption

• Prepared at an overnight accommodation for storage

• Being transported on the water from a temporary overnight accommodation to your residence and you are not engaged in sport fishing

• Being transported overland.

In addition, when packaging fish you must ensure that a Conservation Officer can easily determine:

• The number of fish in your possession

• The species of fish in your possession. This may require leaving a large patch of skin, the head, or some other identifying feature depending on the species of fish (e.g. Lake whitefish vs Lake herring)”.

Tips for Packaging Fish

1. All fish must be packaged so that they can be easily counted and identified, not just those with limits.

2. To ensure fish can be easily counted, package each fish separately, or arrange fillets spread flat in a clear freezer bag. DO NOT freeze fillets in a milk carton, margarine tub or other container. A large lump of fillets frozen together in bags is also unacceptable.

3. Since anglers often transport various species of fish, it’s their responsibility to ensure every fillet of their catch can be easily identified. Ensure you leave at least a large patch of skin on all fish fillets for identification purposes. Some species (e.g. Lake whitefish or Lake herring) may require additional identifying features such as the head.

4. Conservation Officers may inspect your catch at any time. Always have your fish and your licence easily accessible and place coolers of fish where they can be easily inspected. No one wants to unload a vehicle to find licences and coolers.

5. If a Conservation Officer inspects the sport fish you’re transporting and they are improperly packaged:

• Your catch may be seized for evidence

• You could get a ticket and be fined

• You may have to attend court, usually close to where the inspection took place, which may be far from where you live”.

Once you are off the water you may legally fillet your pan fish for transportation. Just make sure you package them so they can be counted and the species identified. Generally speaking, enforcement on size limits on sunfish will be enforced on the water.

Please see the 2010 Fishing Regulations available online at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...L02_163615.html for information about catch and possession limits, season dates, slot sizes and exceptions.

Regards,

nric web reader - cg

Natural Resources Information Centre

PO Box 7000

Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5

1-800-667-1940

TTY: 1-866-686-6072

Fax: 705-755-1677

[email protected]

http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 12:37 PM

To: NRIC - Fishing (MNR); Webmaster (MNR)

Subject: WWW Form Submission

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by

([email protected]) on Friday, February 26, 2010 at 12:36:41

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: The new regs for zone 17 say no more than 30 bluegills per day may be over 7". To transport back to the US do all fish need to remain intact? Normally all fish were cleaned and left with an ID patch of skin. What is the policy on bringing these fish back.