float reel maintenance around hamilton

bassman87

I kinda look at this like John..Matter of fact first thing I did when I bought my,Floatmaster,Stanton, Islander and all the others over the years was take them apart when I got them home and check them out. I find them fun to tinker with and it seems a lot of guys that center pinn do their own cleaning, oiling and bearing tweaks....Good think to teach yourself cause theres going to be a day at the river where you may just need your newly aquired skills.... :)

Give it a go !!

centre pins are night and day difference in terms of simplicity with cleaning compared to spinning reel....everybody has their opinion and how to clean bearings and lube or not lube, etc....can google or youtube a lot on that as well

my pin gets a dunking on most outings, i have apex8's shielded bearings but not sealed, so far no issues with getting grit trapped inside, although ceramics would be very nice to try out but I can't justify the price of 'em for my current reel...I just take the spool off and wipe with a clean cloth after every outing..do the same on the river if needed

There was a guy between caledonia and mount hope that made float reels, a few years back.I had one of his reels.I beleive he was on chippewa creek rd.Mcintyre or Mcyntire was the name on the reel.Not sure of the exact spelling but a nice set up he had.He catered mainly to the US market at the time.

Another place to try is BDI(if im correct) on grays rd beside A & A exhaust, ask for glen(blonde haired guy).They deal with bearings of all sorts, and he can advise you on maintenance,or even replace it for you.Tell him Vince sent you,you may even get a discount.Who knows?