summoned for jury duty!

pike slayer

I just did my duty a couple weeks ago here in Toronto...

And just to clear things up, the court system will only pay you:

$40/day (IIRC) ONLY if the case lasts longer than 10 days, not including weekends and holidays

$100/day ONLY if the case lasts longer than 50 days, not including weekends and holidays.

I never got called for a case, and was only there Wednesday - Friday. It really wasn't that bad, if you go prepared. This was my second time serving, so I learned the first go round.

Bring a good book/magazine, iPod loaded with tv shows/movies, Nintendo DS or PSP, or a Laptop and you're all set.

thanks alot for the replies, good info to know if i ever get summoned again. but what a relief.

ohhh and i signed up for a correspondence course to upgrade my math if i plan on going to school if any of yous were following my thread earlier about getting layed off and not knowing what to do.

To get out of it..

tell them you are a racist... use a few "choice words"

and then ask them if they have the death penalty here....

then go through the whole shebang of why we should, eye for an eye, justice etc...

that's my plan anyways if/when the time comes...

Been called up twice;

The first time the judge spoke to all the potential jurors telling us that he had heard all the excuses to get out of jury duty; can't speak English, hardship, can't sit, racist..... The time to get out was before you had to show up at court; doctors note, extenuating circumstances, religion and so on, and if you hadn't bothered to deal with it before, you were eligible for jury duty - period. If anyone acted at all offensively to the court they could be charged with contempt and would be required to remain in the selection pool for the remainder of the week and not be dismissed.

I was chosen the first day for the first trial for what turned out to be a drug trial of a bike gang member. The next day when we jurors reconvened for the trial one of the jurors claimed he had received a threatening phone call and had been told several specifics about the trial which he relayed to us. The Bailiff that chaperoned us said he was obligated to inform the judge who questioned the juror privately for 1/2 hour then called us all in and dismissed us.

The second time I was selected as a juror and the case lasted two days. Of the jury I would guess three would have had problems spelling their name, half couldn't keep the simplest facts straight and several members had the attitude "bring the guilty bugger in and lets get this over with" - very scary.

It wasn't worth anyones time to wait around to collect the money they paid the jury.

Dan

Got called to the Milton courthouse years ago...1979?? Got selected, I was there for 2 weeks, an assault case. Found him guilty, most of us were amazed that we had to be called in as jurors as the evidence was so obvious. Well obvious to all except the old school teacher who looked like Opie's Aunt Bee! Took us all day and well into the supper hour on the last day for us to convince her, I think she just got wore down in the end and changed her vote to guilty so she could just get out of there.

Pay back then was 15 bucks a day plus transportation.

Got the papers again a couple of years ago but was not called in. Wife did too back when my son was a newborn and she got out of it for that reason.