There's really no argument that pro fishermen are athletes

Spiel

Bolton: There's really no argument that pro fishermen are athletes

February 21, 2010

Michael C. Bolton / al.com

swindle-0221jpg-25f6c90cd17b7666_large.jpg

Gerald Swindle of Hayden spent a cold day on Lay Lake practicing for the Bassmaster Classic.

The Birmingham News / Hal Yeager

Do I consider professional fishermen to be athletes? I've been asked that question on several occasions over the past 30 years. That question most often is offered by someone who has already formed an opinion and is looking for an argument.

I never bite on that question. Instead of spouting my opinion, I instead issue a challenge. I tell them to look up "athlete" in the dictionary and then tell me whether pro fishermen are athletes.

For the record, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "athlete" as "a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina."

There's no question that pro fishermen qualify under that description.

To the novices who will watch the final weigh-in of today's Bassmaster Classic at BJCC, you will be glad you went. It is an athletic endeavor unlike one you have ever seen.

Physical strength? Most pro fishermen are in excellent shape from man-handling a 250-horsepower bass boat constantly through rough waters. Agility? You try making a 50-foot cast to a bush hanging six inches above the water. Stamina? You get up at 3:30 a.m. and go fishing all day for three straight days in the brutal cold or under a blazing sun.

Most of those unfamiliar with professional bass fishing get a chuckle when I tell them that professional fishermen play hurt as much as any football player. They think I'm joking. I'm not.

Just as the human body wasn't really designed to throw an overhand fastball 90 mph, neither was it designed to cast a lure 1,000 or 2,000 times a day three or four days a week. Many pro fishermen have grotesque arm and elbow injuries where tendons have pulled away from the bones. Many have had surgery and are constantly in pain.

Back injuries are the norm. Imagine how riding a motorcycle on the cross-ties of a railroad track for 20 miles would jar the spine. A 70-mph boat ride on choppy waters is worse and in many tournaments anglers must take that ride four days a week plus practice days.

I took a 50-mile bass boat ride with George Cochran on the Calumet River in Chicago years ago. He drove at top speed, all the while striking waves created by oncoming barges. It almost beat me to death. I'm sure an attack by a motorcycle gang couldn't have hurt me that badly.

If you cover sports as I have for more than 30 years, you can't help but fantasize about what it would be like to play in the Alabama-Auburn football game or drive at Talladega. I've never imagined being a professional fisherman because I've never wanted to be one. I know what's involved.

I love bass fishing but I would not want that to be my profession. I can't imagine investing $100,000 in a boat, a tow vehicle, tournament entry fees and travel to show up for a job with no guaranteed paycheck. Imagine then having to go out for four consecutive days in 25- or 90-degree weather with your ability to make a house payment contingent on catching a lot of big fish. What other sports have pressure like that?

Are professional bass fishermen athletes? Of course they are.

I love fishing.

I understand all the hard work, talent, skill, practice and mental toughness it takes to be a good professional fisherman, and I admire them for it.

But pro fisherman are not and never will be athletes.

No one will ever convince me of anything else, but by all means waste your time trying if you like.

• 1 month later...

I love fishing.

I understand all the hard work, talent, skill, practice and mental toughness it takes to be a good professional fisherman, and I admire them for it.

But pro fisherman are not and never will be athletes.

No one will ever convince me of anything else, but by all means waste your time trying if you like.

No sense in trying....what about

Golfers and NASCAR drivers? :dunno:

• 1 month later...

Bolton: There's really no argument that pro fishermen are athletes

The way I see it....

If 4 beer drinkers (one of whom is middle aged and bald and has a bit of a gut) <<----< Not that there is nothing wrong with that!

can win the 2010 Olympic Gold Medal for "Curling".... Well, why not?

Imagine... Canada VS USA or Canada VS Russia.

Bet it would come in second to watching hockey during the Olympics.

Now all we need is everyone on here to sign a petition and send it to

the I.O.C.

Awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

I think fishing should be in the olympics... anyone agree haha?

It is most definitely a sport! People just don't understand it and claim it as "lucky" and that anyone can do it and therefore it can't be a sport.

That is far from wrong.. it takes a ridiculous amount of practice (time on the water) and studying even.