Reg changes for bluegills?

mpt

My bud's been going to Rice Lake and connecting lakes for 20 some odd years. He said they changed the regs from unlimited (I think) to 300 per person but only a few can be over 7 inches. It doesn't sound right and I thought someone here would know for sure. He says he's not going now.

My bud's been going to Rice Lake and connecting lakes for 20 some odd years. He said they changed the regs from unlimited (I think) to 300 per person but only a few can be over 7 inches. It doesn't sound right and I thought someone here would know for sure. He says he's not going now.

Yup this is true. The new regs also include a harvestable slot on Walleye, extended seasons on Bass and Muskie, along with a minimum size increase to 44 inches. A limit on Perch as well (50). 30 Crappie and your right, a limit of 300 per person with only 30 over 7 inches on Sunfish.

Too bad he isn't coming back with the new regs, he is going to miss out on some excellent fishing.

Tell your buddy he can read up on the regs here:Zone 17 regulations (save as PDF)

Cheers, Ron...

I think his point is he was able to keep 300 fish before and they were most bigger than 7". Not sure but he could be culling bigger fish for smaller. Also do the 7"+ fish need to remain intact or all fish to guaranty the length. I've never heard of this kind of reg before so it's not that he's a slob and wants more fish I'm just trying to cover all bases. To bring back any fish to the US it needed a skin sample left on. With this length reg I would think you need to leave the head on. Is this correct. The regs are very long and confusing and I didn't see this anywhere.