Hockey Spoiler!

redneck666

ZING!!!!!

:D

Sorry...couldn't help my self LOL...

I think the Canadian Team Is solid, Its about as good as its gonna get IMO :dunno:

But the Russian team does scare me a bit....we'll see

No argument about the Russians. But a lot of observers were a little surprised at how ineffectual they looked in Game 1. Any team that went up against them not expecting a tough game would be stupid. Canada appeared to be using that first game to get a feel for lines, figuring out who paired up best. Gonna be some fun hockey to watch over the next couple of weeks.

And I checked out Getzlaf. He's an old creaky 24 with 4 years pro experience. I'm sure they've already fitted him up with a special pylon orange sweater since there are all of 4 Russians younger than him and one of them's a goalie. :D

JF

I like to deal in facts (sometimes) and here are a few facts I discovered by looking up the rosters for Team Canada and Team Russia.

Our goaltenders have an average age of 32, the Russians 29. They win the youth award there but is 29 really that young in modern professional hockey?

Our D-men average 30 while the Russians average about 9 months more. Point to the Canucks there. Frankly I'd rather have big smart old D-men though.

Canuck forwards average 3 months over 27 while the Russians are 3 months short of 30. Looks like you really choked on that one. Youth and good wheels up front are great. I'd say our boys have just the right blend of youth and experience to do fine so hopefully they won't let their old age impede their success. ;)

BTW

The youngest players are Doughty (Cdn), a Russian goalie & Toews are a year older than Drew, then Crosby.

The oldest players are a Russian forward born in '69, Brodeur '72, Niedemeyer '73, then a Russian D and Pronger '74, sounds pretty even with perhaps a slight edge to Canada. Personally I think Pronger's a jackass but he is still a helluva D-man.

I just noticed that Getzlaf isn't on my list. Perhaps he's older than he looks and will raise the average up high enuf to work for you. The rosters I used are from the internet and there may have been changes but the Canuck names all sound familiar so my "facts" should be pretty good still.

JF

I choked on the forwards due to one man,Federov who is 40yrs old this brings the Russian average way up, I think he's just there as a token to his years of outstanding play for the Russian Federation.

In the defence end of the average, Drew Doughty at 20 brings Canada's average way down and to have him on the roster and leave Mike Green off is the most ridiculous move I've seen in olympice hockey, except for leaving Crosby off the poor excuse team we sent to the last Olympics.Mike Green is the highest point defenceman in the league year in year out by a long shot and after the lack of offence and goals in the last Olympics I think there would be a place on the roster for the best offensive defencmen in the NHL.

The other thing that peaved me off with Canada's roster is leaving Steve Stamkos off the team, come on the dude's got 35 goals so far this season well on his way to a 50+ goal year. He more then proved himself in international competition in his short hockey career. He is a pure goal scorer, something I would think Canada needs in this tournament, this guy has great hands , a great shot, excellent skater, yet he watches the tournament on T.V give me a break.

Canada should maybe get a General Manager to pick the roster instead of ex hockey heros

it'll be usa vs canada in the final

team with the hottest goalie wins.

Thats a popular stance, and I'd tend to agree...

I think the Canadian team is deeper in talent though one thing for contemplation is most people forget the ability to play as a team will more often then not overcome individual talent.

The question at hand is the American team going to gel.

I guess the Same could be said for the russians, and the Canadians though LOL...

Its anyones guess but I'd agree its going to be USA vs Canada Final, but the russians are a dark horse favorite

Thats a popular stance, and I'd tend to agree...

I think the Canadian team is deeper in talent though one thing for contemplation is most people forget the ability to play as a team will more often then not overcome individual talent.

The question at hand is the American team going to gel.

I guess the Same could be said for the russians, and the Canadians though LOL...

Its anyones guess but I'd agree its going to be USA vs Canada Final, but the russians are a dark horse favorite

are you kidding me.....Russia is by far the deepest team in talent.....after that said it's pretty close for 5 of the top teams.

Findland, russia, usa, check's, sweed's, slovakia,canada are all about equal in tallent, I think Russia has the best, but all that being said it's the team who runs on all cylinders is going to win this competition.The gold medal is up for grabs and from what I've seen so far it's still up for grabs! Anyone of the teams I mentioned have the talent to win this thing, Canada is just one team in the mix, anyone of the for mentioned teams has the tallent to go all the way.

are you kidding me.....Russia is by far the deepest team in talent.....after that said it's pretty close for 5 of the top teams.

Findland, russia, usa, check's, sweed's, slovakia,canada are all about equal in tallent, I think Russia has the best, but all that being said it's the team who runs on all cylinders is going to win this competition.The gold medal is up for grabs and from what I've seen so far it's still up for grabs! Anyone of the teams I mentioned have the talent to win this thing, Canada is just one team in the mix, anyone of the for mentioned teams has the tallent to go all the way.

I'm getting sick and tired of everyone jumping on the Russia bandwagon. Yes, they have a lot of very talented players, and one of the best in the world in Ovechkin. But honestly, please be rational, are their players really better than the Canadians? It seems like everyone is blinded by the flashy play of the Russians and is ignoring the facts. I'm going to make this post a long one, because I want to put this issue to bed, once and for all.

The Russian Roster:

Forwards:

Ovechkin - One of the best in the world, I won't argue that.

Malkin - Another one of the best in the world. 1 Stanley Cup.

Semin - Great player, but have never scored more than 38 goals or 79 points in a season

Kovalchuk - Awesome player, has scored many many goals, but has never scored more than 100 points.

Datsyuk - Awesome player, but again, has never scored more than 100 points. 2 Stanley Cups.

Radulov - Hasn't played in the NHL since 2007/2008, and had a total of 58 points in 81 games

Afinogenov - One of the streakiest players in the league, so much so that Atlanta only signed him because he was willing to play for less than $1 000 000

Federov - Was a great player, but in his last season registered only 11 goals and 33 points in 52 games. 3 Stanley Cups.

Kozlov - No longer players in the NHL, and when he did, was an average NHLer.

Morozov - See Kozlov.

Zinovjev - Washed up prospect that has 1 career NHL point.

Zaripov - Hars never played an NHL game.

Defense

Markov - One of the best in the game, no questions asked

Gonchar - Can certainly score, but is a defensive liability. 1 Stanley Cup.

Volchenkov - Good defenseman.

Kalinin - Average defenseman.

Grebeshkov - Young, but average defenseman.

Tyutin - Average defenseman.

Korneyev - Never played an NHL game

Nikulin - Never played an NHL game.

Goalies

Nabokov - Great career, but has never won when it's mattered.

Varlamov - Great goalie, but young and unproven.

Bryzgalov - Great goalie who is having a great year, but has never been a winner in the league.

The Canadian Roster:

Forwards

Crosby - One of the best in the world. 1 Stanley Cup.

Thornton - Multiple 100 point seasons.

Heatley - Multiple 100 point seasons.

Iginla - Great player, many 90 point seasons, but has never scored 100.

Getzlaf - One of the best young players in the game. 1 Stanley Cup.

Nash - Great player, has won the Rocket Richard, but has never scored more than 79 points in a year.

Staal - Great player, has scored 100 points in a season in his career. 1 Stanley Cup.

Marleau - Great player, has never scored 100 points in a season, has great chemistry with Heatley and Thornton.

Perry - One of the best young players in the game. 1 Stanley Cup.

Richards - Great leader, and one of the best young players in the NHL.

Morrow - Great power forward, but not really a numbers guy.

Toews - See Perry.

Bergeron - Great talents, but has not proved much in the NHL.

Defense

Neidermayer - One of the best defenseman of all time, although he is ageing. 3 Stanley Cups.

Pronger - See Neidermayer. 1 Stanley Cup.

Weber - One of the best defensemen in the game, 53 points last yeat.

Keith - Can point up points, and is part of the best shutdown pairing in the NHL with Seabrook on Chicago.

Seabrook - Is part of the best shutdown pairing in the NHL with Keith on Chicago.

Doughty - The best young defesemen in the game, on pace for 50 points this year.

Boyle - One of the best scoring defensemen in the game with four 50+ point seasons, though can be a defensive liability. 1 Stanley Cup.

Goalies

Brodeur - One of the best goalies of all time. 3 Stanley Cups.

Luongo - One of the best goalies in the game, although he has not proved much in the playoffs.

Fleury - Great goalie. 1 Stanley Cups.

The point??? Russian players have won 7 cups, while Canadians have won 13. Canadians have more points, even though they are, as JohnF pointed out, younger on average. Even Russian's "best" players are comparable with the Canadians when you actually look at the stats and don't let their flashiness fool you.

Anyone who wants to argue further, go ahead, just bring some substance to the table.

Edited by ADB

Someone is going to be wrong on the internets! Stay tuned for the debate! I can say that I admire your passion, tho.

Youse talk quietly amongst yerslefs but I'm going to go watch some great hockey.

me too! guess who just scored...???? sui....... dang! hahaha. well, periods over im gunna go for a short sled ride.

Actually...I think the Russians have a killer offence, and thats about it.

Not a doubt in my Mind Canada has the more depth?

The offensive talent of the Russian team is impressive, and I'd say any team who plays them better stay outta of the box...

But Canada has this neat little thing they do some times....its called BACK CHECKING, and its the Russian Nemisis.

If the Canadians play "their" game, Back check, stay out of the box, and hit hard the Russians will crumble.

The only way you'll see Russia beat them is if the Canadians take dumb penaties, and they loose the neutral zone coverage.

The Russian have a whole lotta fire powerf for sure,

But not much in the way of team or Character players to motivate and their Checking line is sadly lacking...

Actually I don't even think they have a checking line LOL...