southern ohio deer season recap

oxcowboy

ok folks, im going to try to sum up the season of deer hunting in southern ohio. First of all it has been THE best season for me since my early days of hunting. Although i had less time in the woods than what i would have liked, many whitetails fell this year from my farm(200 acres}.

Starting off the year was a friends son who came out to hunt with his father and friend, he hit it big with a 4 pt for his first archery kill, and better was he was going to have surgery for a torn tendon from a football injury the next week and was going to be done for the rest of the deer season.

It started in early bow season for me, my first year of hunting with only a compound bow. It happened in october with my first compound kill, bout a 20 yard shot on a small doe. it was a spine shot and instant drop.

102_0329.jpg

.Next up was Todd, my friend that hunts and his son had taken a small buck. He was lucky enough to harvest a great 150 class deer with a bow during our early rut.

I followed that up with 2 more gun kills, both with my traditions muzzleloader {i love that gun}

just doe's, but man they eat good.

102_0727.jpg

i also made friends with the fella who owns the local tackle and hunting store this year and arranged a deal with him to supply mineral supplements and some ladder stands on my property for some hunting rights, and he ended up bagging 4 doe's this season, and his wife missed a dandy buck with a crossbow.

another local took a 14 pt off our property that hasnt been scored yet but should hit th 160 range, sorrry no pics yet, but is a heck of a deer.

the final chapter is my stepson,that missed a nice sweet 120 class buck, during our youth season,he is 8 years old and this is his first season of actually hunting. after the first miss i was determined to get him on another deer, i t happened during the first day of shot gun season, a doe and 2 fawns came through, he lined out with his 410 after several seconds he shot, another miss, i was as discouraged as he was, then after discussing it, he said that he couldnt see the deer in his scope, which was a cross hair type, so we switched it to a ret dot. all is fine, my buddy that owns the the hunting and fishing shop sells us one at cost and i try to sight it in,and the firing chamber brakes on his old h&r. damn!

ok so this season is a wash,well i find a deal on Archery Talk for a cross bow for cheap, and buy it for him, 150 lb horton and we hit it hard for a couple evenings, not one deer showed itself, so we decide to go back and on his last evening to hunt, we hit a stand that phil{store owner} had put in and sure enough a button buck and large doe comes through and ethan makes a great lower lung shot and drops him.

102_0739.jpg

102_0731.jpg

As you all can guess i couldnt be prouder, this was is last chance to hunt, because he had to go to his dads, this weekend, and was such a special time for the two of us. It made my season way worth while, the family wont go hungry for many years now that i have another hunter on board.

sorry for the long read, but it was a special year of hunting for me.

total for my farm,

3 bucks, 14pt,10pt,4pt

1 button buck

7 doe's

jason

Edited by oxcowboy

IM AN ANIMAL LOVER!!!
Me too, especially with taters and corn.lol

Thats alot of blood in that third pic! Almost looks fake.

i had just got through field dressing it right beside where the picture was taken.

... must have a freezer overflowing

yes it is, we had just butcherd a hog recently as well, one of the doe's i took, i gave to an elderly man that lives down the road from me, so that helped make some room.

jason