Big Gull Lake

dave1965

Hello guys,

We've been having our yearly fishing tourney for some of us friends and this Spring we're looking to try Big Gull Lake while staying at Camp's Bay Cottages.

We would welcome any feedback or opinion about the fishing, the lake and the place.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

My wife and I stayed there a couple May 24ths ago .Its was very clean and well equiped.The fishing was ok not alot of fish but some decent sized eyes.It was my first time on the lake so maybe we just wernt fishing the right spots :dunno: My wife was VERY impressed with the cottages and thats saying alot for the place.The only complaint I had was there boat launch.

I've spent some time on big gull....it's a big lake and lots of structure and prime areas to fish...pretty much anybody can catch a walleye on that lake, jighead tipped with bait (worm, minnow, leech or gulp grub) drag on bottom and pretty much guaranteed to hook up....there are certain well known hot spots, anybody at camp's bay or the marina further up the lake(kirk's cove) can point you to these areas.

largemouth and pike in the back bays...perch, smallies and walleyes throughout and musky roaming around.....heard that there were lakers and whities but not 100% sure on that.....have caught a few ling through the ice as well.

for musky and pike my best producer was gold bladed bucktail...perch pattern cranks and jerk baits work well for smallies and eyes and of course draggin a jig....

make sure you fish the narrows EARLY in the morning, before the traffic gets heavy....it's mostly a deep lake and i had great luck bottom bouncin and backtrolling the deep channels between all the islands using a perch rapala and minnow harnesses...find a back bay with a feeder creek and you'll find a ton of snot rockets and bass.

I hope we are talking about the same Big Gull Lake...the one I referring to is near Arden, Ont....if it's the same it has some very good walleye, pike and smallmouth fishing and I believe (never caught any there) muskies....we always stayed at Kirk's Kove Cottages...this was once a GREAT place for fishing families but then they sold it to a young couple that wanted to market it as a retreat for artist and photographers.....from what I have seen this hasn't worked out for them and now they are trying to recoup the fishing families again so it's definitely worth a second look....here's their site....http://www.kirkkovecottages.com/

Bob