Nipissing fishing article

Bernie

Thanks for the article Bernie...

I find the really serious thing that I read in this news item... is that the once again the MNR in North Bay currently has no biologist dedicated to Lake Nipissing.

Ono of Ontario's most important sport fishing lake ... has NO biologist...!!!! That is terrible...

I don't believe the fishing is terrible however..

I've seen over the last several years some of the best walleye fishing in this area.

The main complaint is many of the fish are in the slot... however each year... we see a steadily increase of fish over the slot.... as the released fish are getting bigger.... I see more 25-inch plus walleye here... every year...

I believe strongly in stocking .. something the MNR in North Bay is opposed to.... (of course.. they don't have a biologist who is interested in NIpissing on their staff).

Other MNR offices (Sudbury for example) are BIG on walleye stocking ...

I believe the MNR management... have their priorities wrong...

the cap't

No doubt about the MNR part of it Kevin but the fishing isn't what it was at our end of the lake.

I would like to see stocking of pickerel too. Especially from those that are taking fish and giving nothing or very little back into it.

The commercial fish hut operators come to mind here as well as summer outfitters that are giving nothing back as well.

Kudos to those that are.

cormorants? Only major change that i know of in recent years, unless the commercial fishing quotas have increased or commercial fishing has just pushed the pop to a tipping point.

Not saying the smelt vs. perch dynamic doesn't exist....but what is driving that?