French River/Pickerel River

sneak_e_pete

I know it's early, but I am dreaming about it. I am looking to hit a body of water for 2-3 days at opener and was looking for recommendations. I am new to walleye fishing, so would like to hit somewhere where a "newbie" stands a good chance at some fish. I was thinking French River or Pickerel River, but am open to suggestions. Would like walleye and pike and am looking to rent a cheap cottage for 2-3 nights. Any recommendations?

For reference, I live in Niagara and I have a 16 foot aluminum boat that I will be bringing, but would prefer if the fishing grounds are within a fairly short boat ride from the accomodations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

French river is awesome. i go 3-4 times a year and always catch bass, pike and walleye. i've only fished once there for musky with no luck. i will try more this year. we always camp so i can't tell you what lodge is cheap but the french river lodge is right in the middle of prime fishing area. it looks nice too.

You could try Cedar Village Pickeral River Marina at http://www.cvprm.com/

They are located on the Pickeral river just off of #69 highway, and have house keeping cabins or motel rooms. Boat launch and docking is right there also. Restaurant with excellent food.

I have stayed there several times over the last 4 or 5 years. Lots of water to fish close by and you can boat all the way down to the Lower French.

Combine the two. Although you would need more than three days to fish just the Pickeral.

Good luck.

Wolseley Bay Lodge on the French is a very popular place in Noelville. I always hear great things about that place. People catch fish, and the accommodations look fantastic. I have never personally stayed at the lodge, but I have fished the area and been inside. They have a huge slip area for visiting boats too, and a full service marina. I can't speak from my experiences, but I can assure you there are lots of fish in that area. Of course, I couldn't find a way to catch them, but that's just me and only me. I am sure you will have a great time. Good luck!

You will have to boat to French River Lodge, which is knida cool, but also has extra the expense of having to park and pay elsewhere. Atwood Island Lodge is a short boat ride away from there, I have never been but it looks nice and is also in a prime location. Bear sDen lodge is also in that area. You can launch from Hartley Bay to get to all of these spots. They would all meet you at the launch so you can follow. There are so many places it would take forever to list them.. I would decide which section of the frnech (upper, middle, lower) and then decide on a place to stay. There is a guy who posts on here who I think spends more time on the french, well at least he cares to share the most. hopefully he responds. The pickeral River is also great, they run through the same area, draing from nippissing to georgian bay. The scenery alone will keep you coming back year after year.

I had posted a bit of information on the few Lodges we have stayed at over the years. If you narrow down your choices to one of these, and want a little more info, drop me a PM. I don't fish for Walleye, so I can't you out with that kind of fishing. I do know that Walleye are caught from all these areas.

French River Post

Edited by Rich Clemens

The Upper French is fantastic. Lunge Lodge or Casablanca Lodge are great places to stay. Great food and accommodations. I think anywhere you go on the French the fishing will be good, you just have to know where to find 'em depending on the time of year. Feel free to message me for more info.

Good luck!

I know it's early, but I am dreaming about it. I am looking to hit a body of water for 2-3 days at opener and was looking for recommendations. I am new to walleye fishing, so would like to hit somewhere where a "newbie" stands a good chance at some fish. I was thinking French River or Pickerel River, but am open to suggestions. Would like walleye and pike and am looking to rent a cheap cottage for 2-3 nights. Any recommendations?

For reference, I live in Niagara and I have a 16 foot aluminum boat that I will be bringing, but would prefer if the fishing grounds are within a fairly short boat ride from the accomodations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey Sneak e pete,

I have been to the French several times. If you want a great place to stay, Bryers Lodge is wicked. Not the cheapest, but perhaps the best that we have stayed at. The cabins are really nice and clean and the hosts, very accomodating. They have regular and pontoon boats for rent, and as well all the bait you will need. I kid you not when I say the cabins are beautiful and comfortable to stay in. The scenery is also great!

We also stayed once at Wosley Bay Lodge. Their cabins are rudamentry at best. They are cheaper, but much more crowded and not as accomodating as we found Bryer Lodge to be. I would rent a place at Bryer lodge in the future without a doubt!

Ab

Hey Sneak e pete,

I have been to the French several times. If you want a great place to stay, Bryers Lodge is wicked. Not the cheapest, but perhaps the best that we have stayed at. The cabins are really nice and clean and the hosts, very accomodating. They have regular and pontoon boats for rent, and as well all the bait you will need. I kid you not when I say the cabins are beautiful and comfortable to stay in. The scenery is also great!

We also stayed once at Wosley Bay Lodge. Their cabins are rudamentry at best. They are cheaper, but much more crowded and not as accomodating as we found Bryer Lodge to be. I would rent a place at Bryer lodge in the future without a doubt!

Ab

I've boat past Bryer's on my way out of Wolseley Lodge. At least from what we can see from the water, Abraxus is right - really nice looking cabins along the water. And, if I recall correctly, ya have a bit of space between them. it can be a bit noisy with the traffic if you're in one of Wolseley's cabins along the road - there is a public launch right there at the camp.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I will offer this to you though as a word of advice. If you bring your own boat, or rent one at the lodge, be very careful on the French! There are a lot of un marked rocks out there. Without a doubt the worst kind to boot! You can be bombing along in 30 feet of water and a rock the size of a bus will just pop up in front of you running just sub surface!

Not only that, but if you dont have a GPS unit on your boat, pay very careful attention to your surroundings. Once you get up river, the cabins along the shoreline become scarce and eventually none at all. At this point, everything starts to look the same. There are alot of bays and nooks in the river that can disorient you if you are not paying attention. One would think, how can anyone get lost on a River? Well let me tell ya, you can and people do get lost up there all the time! lol A tank of gas in a boat will only take you so far, and if you run out...it will be quite sometime before someone notices you are missing and sends out help! lol

I have heard of several people whom have driven for an hour or more, thinking they are heading in the right direction only to realize they were not. Hanging out to the seat of there pants with only fumes left in the jerry can, they would make it back to the lodge with a story to tell. That's the lucky ones! One weekend I was up there, I saw 5 different boats with shredded props on the same day! lol That river will eat the lower leg of your motor if you give it half a chance! lol

Ab

You're Right Ab.

You don't got barrelling along unless you know the water. Once you get away from camp, landmarks can be few and far between. Unless, as I said, you really know the water. I'm glad I now have a GPS in my boat, as I can mark the hazards - that I know about.

Not only marking the hazards but following your "crumb" trail back that the GPS unit has marked on your screen.......zoom in a bit so you can follow it more closely........first time nice and slow and on the way back you can let her rip........that's one nice feature they came up with.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

Good advice guys. It is so true, some areas are worse than others. There are are some serious rapids in sections as well that you must watch out for. The shoals, bars, boulders and deadheads seem to be everywhere in certain areas. I actually like that there aren't any seriously detailed charts in hard copy or in electronic form like on navionics. I do love charts and navionics, but its nice that there are still some places that aren't mapped in detail and the French is a prime example. It really adds to the sense of adventure and also means that are sleeper spots that maybe no one has discovered yet. It's also a throw back to yester year when only the truely expeienced guys knew how to get to certain places. Man I love the french and its its history.

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn

from my name, I guess you can tell where I spend most of my time on softwater. I've been on the French for almost 30 years now, and have owned my own little place of heaven there for about 7, family has had a cottage there for 30. nothing better in the summer cruising the river, catching monsters of all species.

The fall walleye bite is some of the best in the country, I'll add a couple photos soon. if I can be of any help on your trip, just pm me, glad to help any way I can. :)